• Total Topics: 198
  • Online Today: 22
  • Online Ever: 275
  • (January 22, 2020, 07:39:54 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 7
Total: 7

Author Topic: Weibang Legacy Pro56 Drive Problems  (Read 445 times)

Offline kevinthelawnmowerman

• View Profile
Weibang Legacy Pro56 Drive Problems
« on: July 24, 2020, 11:26:41 AM »
I have a 2016 Weibang Legacy 56 Pro in my workshop which is somewhat different to the Hayters I am used to.

I have just replaced the rear roller bearings and plastic/nylon roller bushes because these were destroyed or worn. This all went well and now I have to look at the drive because the owner has complained of it struggling to climb gradients. I have tested the drive and found it to be fine on a hard surface but looses drive on grass. Does anyone know if this problem is solely the gearbox and what is the best solution for a repair?

Offline Mick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Guitarist Guild
Re: Weibang Legacy Pro56 Drive Problems
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 05:36:01 PM »
Hi Kevin. and welcome to TGMF.

What I've found with these Weibangs is the double pully between the two belts has a very soft spring between the the two inner pully half's.  This is supposed to be spring loaded to keep the belts tensioned.  I've had a couple where the spring has gone limp and therefore the belts were running loose causing the symptoms you describe.

So I would check the two belts make sure they haven't worn excessively, and check that double pulley between the belts.   There's a modified pulley for these now, if I can find the bulletin I'll post it up for you..
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 05:55:48 PM by Mick »

Offline Mick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Guitarist Guild
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 05:46:24 PM »

There's a modified pulley for these now, if I can find the bulletin I'll post it up for you..

Found it, this is the service bulletin showing the old double tensioner pulley on the left, and the new type tensioner pulley to the right of it.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 05:01:45 PM »
Hi Mick,

Thanks for the welcome and the information for the pulley/tensioner assembly.

I suspected the belt tensioner because the spring between the pulley seemed so week (I can pull the two long runs of the belt that drives the gearbox together with no effort). One drive belt is new and I am not sure about the belt from the engine to the pulleys/tensioner.

I will let you know how I get on.

Kevin

Offline Mick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Guitarist Guild
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2020, 08:58:50 AM »

Thanks for the welcome and the information for the pulley/tensioner assembly.

I suspected the belt tensioner because the spring between the pulley seemed so week (I can pull the two long runs of the belt that drives the gearbox together with no effort). One drive belt is new and I am not sure about the belt from the engine to the pulleys/tensioner.

That was the issue I had, the spring between the pulley halves seemed very limp and lifeless, probably a very poor quality spring to be honest.  The modified pulley twists and separates much like the Hayter Harrier ones, but of a more solid construction.  That does of course mean it will like belts with no wear in them.  You'll probably notice your belts have worn pretty thin, or at least one of them will have worn badly.  ;)

I will let you know how I get on.

Please do.   :tup: 

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 02:21:00 PM »
Afternoon Mick,

New tensioner has been fitted along with one new belt (the other belt was only fitted 10 days ago) and the mower now drives well.

Thanks again for the information  :tup:

Kevin