• (October 28, 2018, 01:08:30 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 6
Total: 8
NOMIS
Google
VigLink badge

Who's got one of the new ...Sonic Carb Cleaning?Stihl fs66 strimmerSTIHL Product RecallCarburettor for Kawasaki ...Nextbase 522GW Dash Cam w...EGO 20 in. 56-Volt Lithiu...EGO 20 in. 56 Volt Lithiu...Porting for extra perform...Added a couple of new smi...Briggs Instart engines. @...Briggs and Stratton Auto ...Show us the gardening dea...Look after your Fuel, and...Ariens Razor2 stroke hover mower engi...

Author Topic: Check your float level  (Read 1561 times)

Offline Mick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Guitarist Guild
Check your float level
« on: March 23, 2017, 08:45:15 PM »
Here's a scenario for you.  So for example you drag your Hayter Harrier fitted with a Briggs and Stratton engine out of the shed for the first cut of the season.  Engine starts hunting and surging like mad.  You clean the carb thoroughly, perhaps more than once, but still the damn thing keeps hunting.  Here's something you should check.  The float level. 

Best way to check it properly is to remove the carb from the engine, and take off the float bowl.  Then flip the carb upside down.  The float should be sitting parallel to the carb body, as shown in the first image below.

In the first image you can clearly see the float level is spot on and doesn't need any attention at all.

In the second image below, the float level is way out, the rubber seat has expanded and pushed the needle out further than it should, thus pushing the float out of level.  This  results in a low fuel level in the carburettor bowl, and will make the engine run weak. Often mean hunting / surging.  In some cases the rubber seats expand so much they restrict or even stop the flow of fuel completely, with obvious consequences. 

In this case you would replace simply buy a needle and seat kit from your Briggs dealer and replace them.   You'll be surprised just how many of these engines are running around with this problem, I've fitted hundreds of them over the last two or three years. 

Anyway, thanks for reading, and hope this helps someone.

Offline Mick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Guitarist Guild
Re: Check your float level
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 11:47:27 PM »
Had another one this morning, not the worst one I've seen but definitely needed the float level sorting.  Grabbed before and after pics on my phone.

Before

After, with new needle and seat fitted

Offline alfonso_frisk

• View Profile
Re: Check your float level
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 09:10:22 PM »
My sons mower is and always has been hunting. will check this out mate, cheers