TGMForum

Recent Posts

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 2,074
  • Total Topics: 780
  • Online today: 51
  • Online ever: 275 (January 22, 2020, 07:39:54 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 31
  • Total: 31
  • Google

Hayter Motif 41 with Briggs & Stratton engine

Started by PaulMo, June 27, 2024, 05:21:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulMo

Hello all, Newbie here.. I have a 2010 Hayter Motif 41. Has been a really good mower, but recently won't start. I have stripped the carb and cleaned with an airline etc. Fuel getting through, new spark plug, clean fuel. It fires up strong and dies straight away, as before. Any ideas? Thanks! Paul

Mick

Hi PaulMo, and welcome to TGMF.

Have you tried pulling on the OPC cable to see if it stays running like that? 

Failing that it sounds like you still have a fuel issue.
My websites
TGMForum Youtube Channel Please subscribe https://www.youtube.com/@TGMForum
Guitarist Guild

PaulMo

Hello Mick and thank you. Very good point. I have not tried pulling on the OPC cable {had to look up what that is..}. Will try that tomorrow.

All the best, Paul

PaulMo

Hi Mick, I checked the OPC cable for slack etc. All seems ok. Will drain the fuel and replace with new. Maybe existing fuel can contents are not as fresh as I thought..  Thanks again, Paul  :tup:

PaulMo

Hi, new fuel and still won't start. Stripped and cleaned the carb thoroughly again. Will fire up with a squirt of 'Easy Start' for second, and then dies.. I notice the (new) spark plug is quite oily and smelly. Is a head gasket failing an option?
Thank you! Paul

P.S. I haven't used the mower for about 2-3 years.

Mick

Quote from: PaulMo on June 30, 2024, 01:03:11 PMStripped and cleaned the carb thoroughly again. Will fire up with a squirt of 'Easy Start' for second, and then dies..

Obviously it's not drawing fuel by itself.  I wonder if, (and I don't want to insult you) But Are you sure you have the plastic insulator between carb and block the right way up? If fitted wrong it will create a massive air leak. The gaskets and insulator have to be fitted in the right order or it will run really badly.
My websites
TGMForum Youtube Channel Please subscribe https://www.youtube.com/@TGMForum
Guitarist Guild

PaulMo

Hi, again, a very good point.. Will check asap. Thanks!  :tup:

TGMF is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.