• Total Topics: 197
  • Online Today: 20
  • Online Ever: 275
  • (January 22, 2020, 07:39:54 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 16
Total: 16

Author Topic: What's on your Workbench today?  (Read 2079 times)

Offline Mick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Guitarist Guild
Re: What's on your Workbench today?
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2020, 04:56:31 PM »
All about the £ margins why make at £2 gear and sell it for  £10 when you can make a whole motor for £15 and sell it for £67. Like most modern crap made in China and designed to fail and be replaced often.

Jrich, while I agree with what you're saying there, and that is the case nowadays.  The plastic gear on these starter motors would normally be a spare part, it's a wearing part.  It wouldn't be so bad if it was a sealed unit, but you can have the gear in your hand in five minutes, just held on with an E-Clip. ;)

Offline GardenKit

• View Profile
    • Garden Kit
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2020, 07:34:16 AM »
A bit of a late reply, but it does appear that the gear is available as an item with the bendix. Part no 799420. But it is nearly half of the starter price at £27.45 plus vat!

Offline Mick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Guitarist Guild
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2020, 09:11:46 AM »
A bit of a late reply, but it does appear that the gear is available as an item with the bendix. Part no 799420. But it is nearly half of the starter price at £27.45 plus vat!

Thanks for that Barrie.    That's makes this even more ridiculous, as we spoke to Briggs directly and was told it wasn't available as a spare part and would have to have the whole starter motor, they even gave us the part number for even though we have it via the power portal etc.  What's even funnier about this they are paying for it under warranty for this particular job.  The reason I brought this to attention in the first place was for those who's warranty has expired and having to pay an extortionate price to replace the gear.  I'm really glad if that's not the case after all though.  ;)  While I do agree, thirty quid is still rather steep for that kit, but they have everyone by the short and curli's on this, because they can't start the mower without it. 

The wiring harnesses', don't get me started on those.  Now on a second type of harness to get around the issues, so I'm going to guess the ones we changed previously will be coming back with the same fault after a while, and we'll have to upgrade them again.  Like we haven't got other machines to service and repair.   :doh: 

Offline Mick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Guitarist Guild
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2020, 05:52:15 PM »

Barrie, just as a matter of interest, where di you find the part number for that kit?

Offline GardenKit

• View Profile
    • Garden Kit
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2020, 09:03:11 PM »
Sorry for my late reply Mick, just been a bit busy!
I have not bought one of  these to make sure its correct, but I looked on the Power Portal.
I looked for the starter motor on the IPL for model 104M05-0032-H1.

Know what you mean about the harnesses Mick. I am still using the stock of the first mod with the 'hard' connector block. The later ones are at the back of the shelf. Ot looks like they have the same 'hard' block, but simpler wiring with less connectors.

Offline Mick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Guitarist Guild
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2020, 09:46:15 PM »
Sorry for my late reply Mick, just been a bit busy!
I have not bought one of  these to make sure its correct, but I looked on the Power Portal.
I looked for the starter motor on the IPL for model 104M05-0032-H1.

Know what you mean about the harnesses Mick. I am still using the stock of the first mod with the 'hard' connector block. The later ones are at the back of the shelf. Ot looks like they have the same 'hard' block, but simpler wiring with less connectors.

Thanks Barrie.  Interesting because we looked on Power Portal as mentioned previously, but couldn't see it listed separately.  Then I asked one of our guys to speak to Briggs UK, and was told it's not sold as a spare part and would have to have the whole starter motor.   I'll take another poke around on Power Portal and see if I can see it.  ;)

The harness thing gets worse.  They must have run out of the latest harnesses and have them on back order, because the last one they sent us this week was the original type with the white connector in it again.   :doh: