• Online Ever: 195
  • (October 28, 2018, 01:08:30 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 3
Total: 4
Google
VigLink badge

STIHL Product RecallCarburettor for Kawasaki ...Nextbase 522GW Dash Cam w...EGO 20 in. 56-Volt Lithiu...EGO 20 in. 56 Volt Lithiu...Porting for extra perform...Added a couple of new smi...Briggs Instart engines. @...Briggs and Stratton Auto ...Show us the gardening dea...Look after your Fuel, and...Ariens RazorWho's got one of the new ...2 stroke hover mower engi...Euro Car PartsEfco versus Husqvarna

Author Topic: Porting for extra performance. Real, or Placebo?  (Read 417 times)

Offline Mick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Guitarist Guild
Porting for extra performance. Real, or Placebo?
« on: May 04, 2019, 08:39:36 AM »
Read so many posts about engine porting, and I realise when this is done properly you will gain extra power / speed from your chainsaw.

Then you read about the guys who opened up their muffler / exhaust on their brand new chainsaw and it runs so much better.  This begs me to ask the question.  Taking into account that a blocked muffler will defo have a negative affect.

Does opening up the exhaust really give you extra power?  How much of this is placebo effect on the user, I mean the extra noise possibly making it sound more powerful, and actually not having any affect on the performance at all, apart from making it possibly worse.

In my opinion the stock muffler should be optimised from the factory for max performance and longevity of the saw, not to mention noise levels, and emissions = (CAT versions).

What's your take on all this?

Offline Marks Mowers

• View Profile
    • Marks Mower Services
Re: Porting for extra performance. Real, or Placebo?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 10:18:50 PM »
Fitted the "repair kit" to an MS201t, no difference in performance, advanced the timing and opened up the muffler and it was like a different saw.
No bogging down anymore and a happy customer.

Offline Mick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Guitarist Guild
Re: Porting for extra performance. Real, or Placebo?
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 07:54:45 AM »
Thanks Mark.

While I agree that done properly by someone with the necessary and skills for tuning these small two stroke engines, there will be an increase in performance.  It's the ones that say things like "Opened up the exhaust on my saw, now it goes like stink" etc, that's what I find slightly bemusing. Yes it's louder, and sounds like it's faster and more powerful, but is it?

Also, going back to my days racing Motocross bikes, it was always the case that anything highly tuned, built for power and speed will need constant rebuilding to keep it that way.  I guess these days technology and materials have changed so maybe they will withstand being pushed a little better.  But I still believe it's a case of, increase performance, decrease lifespan.

After all the machines should be optimised from the factory for max power + Longevity + Reliability, once you start changing things you can ad those to a sliding scale, something has to give.