TGMForum

Recent Posts

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1,854
  • Total Topics: 729
  • Online today: 58
  • Online ever: 275 (January 22, 2020, 07:39:54 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 77
  • Total: 77
  • Yandex
  • Google

Robot Lawnmowers?

Started by Mick, March 10, 2018, 04:07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick

Seems I'm behind the times when it comes to technology, but these robot mowers seem to be getting slightly more popular with time, and just about every manufacturer bringing them out. Some of the top brands are still pretty expensive even though they have been around a while now.

What are your thoughts on this new(ish) trend. 

Downsides from my point of view,
1: Bare in mind, they are pretty expensive to buy in the first place, then you'll probably have to pay for a installation kit to fit around your lawn, and in some cases pay for the thing to be installed on top of your purchase.

2: You won't get any exercise yourself while cutting the lawn.
3: Not sure on this, but I don't think they cut up to the edges of your lawn, so you would still need a mower to do around the edge, or perhaps a strimmer.
4: You'll probably need electric power point installed near the lawn for the docking station / charger. 
5: The grass needs to be already cut prior to letting one of these robot mowers graze on it.
6: They will get stolen.  Even if they have GPS, or trackers. You just know it, don't you.  As they are left outside and not secured, checked to see if it's covered under your insurance.
7: They have rechargeable batteries in them, no idea how long they will last before needing replacement, but I'm guessing at some point they will, and at what cost.

Upsides from my point of view,

1: You can sit there sipping your gin and tonic while the mower does it's own thing.
2: Would be great to see the cat sitting on top, having a ride around the garden. Bound to be loads of then on YT.

Do you think they are a good idea? Do you think they are a waste of time and money?

Your thoughts please.

John Deere Tango E5
Stihl iMow Robotic Mower
Husqvarna Robotic lawn mowers
Flymo Robotic Lawnmower
Bosch Garden Tools
My websites
TGMForum Youtube Channel Please subscribe https://www.youtube.com/@TGMForum
Guitarist Guild

TGMF is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.