• Online Today: 4
  • Online Ever: 101
  • (October 10, 2018, 12:23:28 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 2
Total: 2
VigLink badge

Show us the gardening dea...Does anyone know where I ...Variable speed verses fix...UPDATE: Christchurch gard...Make your first cut countA to Z of herbs: G is for...Grow your own rhubarbBest power attachments fo...How to Sharpen Your Chain...Battery tools on the upKit for pitchesBattle of the sizes 200 l...Question time with the UK...Making and using leaf mou...Planting spring-flowering...Stylised Hedge Trimming T...

Author Topic: STIHL HT-KM Pole pruner  (Read 1495 times)

Offline Mick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Guitarist Guild
STIHL HT-KM Pole pruner
« on: January 31, 2018, 10:03:47 PM »
STIHL HT-KM Pole pruner - KombiTool

Had a customer bring one of these combi tools in for repair this week.  It stopped oiling, and the customer had had it to pieces, fitted a new pump but still couldn't get it to oil, plus it had now developed a oil leak. (see if you can spot the mistake). 

Some pics, just in case your curious what's inside one of these units. also notice the lack of grease, not bad for a unit which is a month old, eh.

And as for the oil leak, see if you can spot the mistake,  You can see the oil pump, visible in both of these pics.

Wrong Pump.

Right Pump.

Offline RusticRatbag

• View Profile
Re: STIHL HT-KM Pole pruner
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 05:43:26 PM »
I dropped a large branch on my HT-KM a few weeks ago and smashed the casting where the pole drive goes in. I was thinking about getting two new halves and rebuilding it, it’s only five years old and hasn’t done a lot of work, but funked it and bought a new complete unit last week. I wish I hadn’t, the build quality of the new one seems very poor. Diecast alloy is always brittle, but the new one is half as stout as the original, it all looks a bit flimsy. Made in China perhaps? The original doesn’t look a difficult job to take apart and rebuild, are there any things to watch out for if the situation crops up again....?

Offline Mick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Guitarist Guild
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 06:28:49 PM »
I dropped a large branch on my HT-KM a few weeks ago and smashed the casting where the pole drive goes in. I was thinking about getting two new halves and rebuilding it, it’s only five years old and hasn’t done a lot of work, but funked it and bought a new complete unit last week. I wish I hadn’t, the build quality of the new one seems very poor. Diecast alloy is always brittle, but the new one is half as stout as the original, it all looks a bit flimsy. Made in China perhaps? The original doesn’t look a difficult job to take apart and rebuild, are there any things to watch out for if the situation crops up again....?

Hi, and welcome to TGMF.

I take it you broke the lower casting on your HT-KM  ?  If not and it's only the top half it's a really quick and easy job.  If it's the lower one then it's a bit more involved, but not that difficult really.  Providing you can obtain the right parts, there's a couple of variants of the older pruner. 

As for the latest models, yes they don't look very impressive, and almost look like they're designed for cordless (battery powered) machines. 

Offline RusticRatbag

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 04:48:01 PM »
Both halves! And the drive pole bent at a racy angle......
Yes I can see the top half only would be straightforward but I guess getting the bearings out of the other half wouldn’t be too difficult. I think I found that both halves came to about £100 so with seals etc it would be about two thirds the cost of the new one. But would make a better machine. Well I’ll see how long the new one lasts.....
Many thanks

Offline Mick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Guitarist Guild
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 05:23:45 PM »
Both halves! And the drive pole bent at a racy angle......
Yes I can see the top half only would be straightforward but I guess getting the bearings out of the other half wouldn’t be too difficult. I think I found that both halves came to about £100 so with seals etc it would be about two thirds the cost of the new one. But would make a better machine. Well I’ll see how long the new one lasts.....
Many thanks

Aha, both bits, that was unlucky.  Well it's pretty straight forward to dismantle once you get the sprocket screw undone, after that it's a simple case of removing the top casing and lifting out the two shafts complete with bearings.  You will also need to extract the oil pump and push it back into the new housing.  You can use a m5 screw and a Nyloc nut wound into the end of the pump to gauge the depth, and to extract it and tap it back in with.  ;)

Let us know how it goes.   :)