Argos For your Home and Garden Products.

Recent Posts

Members
  • Total Members: 33
  • Latest: Hawk84
Stats
  • Total Posts: 283
  • Total Topics: 123
  • Online Today: 11
  • Online Ever: 195
  • (October 28, 2018, 01:08:30 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 3
Total: 3
VigLink badge

Weibang 48VTop TipsShow us the gardening dea...Stihl Blowers eating diap...Have you gone cordless / ...Black Friday DealsSTIHL recalls STIHL MSA 1...STIHL HT-KM Pole prunerVariable speed verses fix...Hs81 won't rev up once wa...STIHL MS200T vs 201TDoes anyone know where I ...UPDATE: Christchurch gard...Make your first cut countA to Z of herbs: G is for...Grow your own rhubarb

Author Topic: help with chipper bearings replacement  (Read 1461 times)

Offline mbell

• View Profile
help with chipper bearings replacement
« on: January 21, 2018, 01:50:31 PM »
Hi, I'm trying to replace the bearings on a  6.5 hp chipper/shredder but am unable to remove the fixing pin/lug for the belt pulley from the axle. Has anyone got any ideas?
Many thanks

Offline Mulcher

• View Profile
Re: help with chipper bearings replacement
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 03:57:13 PM »
I take it your referring to the Woodruff-type key (the lozenge shaped key that fits in a slot on the shaft)?

I'd try the escalating levels of force routine.
1. Soak it in Plus Gas penetrating oil (if you can find it), or GT85 / WD40. I often use s mix of carb cleaner & GT85 – the carb cleaner is highly penetrant and helps carry the lubricant into the tiniest of gaps.
2. Repeatedly tap it gently a couple of times each side to help work it loose.
3. If that doesn't work I'd get a blowtorch on it and heat up the shaft. The heat causes the shaft to expand and helps break the seal.

Offline mbell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 06:46:12 PM »
many thanks Mulcher - all 3 methods deployed and mission successful without much collateral damage

Offline Mick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Guitarist Guild
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 07:45:37 AM »
I'm a bit late to the party, but glad you got it sorted.

I'd probably resort to the same methods mentioned above, after trying to lever it out with a pair of sidecutters or pincers.  These having a sharp edge will get a hold of the key pretty well. Normally, once you get it on the move it's a done deal.

Obviously would recommend using an old pair of cutters, not you're best ones for this job, but as long as they are reasonably sharp. 

Offline Mulcher

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 10:33:20 PM »
Pleased you got it sorted mbell.

Mick, I'll add your tip to the repertoire

Offline Rohens

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 11:15:34 AM »
I take it your referring to the Woodruff-type key (the lozenge shaped key that fits in a slot on the shaft)?

I wish I've seen this post when I've had this issue. I guess I applied a bit too much force when I was doing it and messed it up completely. You live and you learn I guess.