TGMForum
justlawnmowers

Recent Posts

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1,856
  • Total Topics: 730
  • Online today: 124
  • Online ever: 275 (January 22, 2020, 07:39:54 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 103
  • Total: 103

Mulch it or Collect it?

Started by Mick, August 13, 2017, 04:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick

These days the Mulching mowers are becoming more popular, not sure if that's a good thing or not, or if the conditions are good enough here in the UK. 

Anyway, do prefer to mulch, or collect your grass cuttings?
My websites
TGMForum Youtube Channel Please subscribe https://www.youtube.com/@TGMForum
Guitarist Guild

Canuck

Hey Mick,
I guess that the question you are thinking on, mulching or collecting is dependent on how you view where the soil came from in the first place. Soil is not really something that just popped in on your property one fine sunny day and decided to stay for a bit. Soil is a living byproduct of the decomposition of vegetation over some maybe thousands of years. Folks who collect their clippings rather than mulching them and returning them to their rightful place are interrupting all the hard work Mother Nature began all those years ago.

Many forms of life that are below your feet, as we speak! Are very dependent on the next meal that would be supplied by those clippings. The life cycle of all that is down there is as important as the air that you breath. It needs to be cared for and we all need to be taking a really hard look at how we show consideration for the gifts of nature. The stewardship of the soils around us is a very big responsibility and should deserve the time and efforts one would be willing to put into doing or trying to do the best we could to continue to nurture the biodiversity below the visible grass layer. As a matter of fact your patch of nature will reward you for your thoughts and efforts.

Just think of how wonderful it is to see a Robin tugging on a big fat juicy worm in the early morning dew or evening and bringing that home to it's nest full of hungry little mouths. The sound of their song a constant gift around your home. Bees and other insects happily rummaging around a healthy environment that you continue to provide with your considerate care of the soils and vegetation around you.

Nature never intended for us to live amungst the full out Bling y lawns folks have grown to try to achieve. By simply cutting, collecting and continually repeating this, we rob the soils of the nutrients it needs to be healthy. Then along come the bags and bags of chemical products to make the lawn look nice. Sure there are many natural products that could be added to help feed the soil but it should start by the beginning and that is to simply return to the soil the mulch and proper moisture. Then you could see if further natural product is required over time as a boost or treat. The best thing is to get to know your lawn and soils and try to see to there natural requirements and all will be happy.

RR.

Harvz

Unfortunately, with the amount of rain that we get here, the grass grows way to fast! Most customers are on fortnightly cuts, and the grass is simply too long to be mulched, even if it is dry when cut (which is seldom). Even the weekly cut grass, which is generally due to customer wanting the lawn nice all the time, would leave too much product on the lawn for the customer to accept.
So as much as it would benefit me to mulch, since I wouldn't need to take away the cuttings, in reality it's collect for me.

TGMF is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.