TGMForum
harrod

Recent Posts

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1,974
  • Total Topics: 755
  • Online today: 35
  • Online ever: 275 (January 22, 2020, 07:39:54 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 21
  • Total: 21
  • Google (AdSense)

Carb Jets and Micro Drills really don't mix.

Started by Mick, April 28, 2024, 11:01:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick

The current trend on YouTube for cleaning small engine carburettors seems to show the use of Micro Drill bits to clean the jets, or open them up slightly when engine is surging. I also see Gas nozzle files being sold for the same purpose, and they can be just as bad. 

I hate this advice and wish it would stop to be honest. It's fine if you really know what you're doing and don't take any metal out of the jets, but I find some after they are now cleaned properly are running too rich. This can get costly as some jets you can't buy separately which means a new carb is the only way to go. 

Cleaning with the aid of a Sonic Cleaning tank, a can of carb cleaner and (or) non abrasive cleaning pins of the correct size should be all you need to get it running properly.

For those with very little knowledge:  Sticking a drill bit through your jets is a bad idea, and could cost you more in the long run.  :whistle1:
My websites
TGMForum Youtube Channel Please subscribe https://www.youtube.com/@TGMForum
Guitarist Guild

TGMF is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.