TGMForum
toolstation

Recent Posts

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1,854
  • Total Topics: 729
  • Online today: 80
  • Online ever: 275 (January 22, 2020, 07:39:54 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 56
  • Total: 56
  • Google (AdSense)
  • Google

Hedge cutting?

Started by Mick, July 15, 2017, 02:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick

What time of year is best for cutting conifer hedges?  Don't want to disturb birds nesting etc, so does anyone know if there is there a right and wrong time for doing this.
My websites
TGMForum Youtube Channel Please subscribe https://www.youtube.com/@TGMForum
Guitarist Guild

Harvz

Anytime from now until late Autumn. Young birds have left nests already, and best to cut before the coldest of the winter months risks frost damage to the cut ends, especially if cutting back hard.

tomrainier

I'd say very early spring or autumn. Just try to mind their nests and you'll be good to go. Some bird don't even fly South anymore because of global warming so there's a good chance that you'll need to pay attention even in the colder months. Then again, I don't know where you're from so they might as well be gone during autumn/winter :D That's a good time I'd say!

sneax

Quote from: tomrainier on December 14, 2017, 09:18:30 AM
I'd say very early spring or autumn. Just try to mind their nests and you'll be good to go. Some bird don't even fly South anymore because of global warming so there's a good chance that you'll need to pay attention even in the colder months. Then again, I don't know where you're from so they might as well be gone during autumn/winter :D That's a good time I'd say!

I concur, I'd suggest to avoid full-blown summer , especially when it gets fry and hot. Simple.

TGMF is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.