TGMForum
screwfix

Recent Posts

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1,854
  • Total Topics: 729
  • Online today: 58
  • Online ever: 275 (January 22, 2020, 07:39:54 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 83
  • Total: 83
  • Yandex
  • Google

Honda Air Filters

Started by Jrich, November 13, 2019, 11:58:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jrich

Evening,

Today while playing with one of the newer type Honda engines GCV160 I came across a problem I've not encountered before.
The mower came in running rough (and got the usual while you got it give it a service line) done all usual steps checking cap, fuel line/flow, changing the air filter and plug and checking if any better but it was now a pig to start which it wasn't before, it would start 2 pulls on choke run to get warm and in theory when stopped it should start first pull but it wouldn't it would take 5/6 coughing in the process. I then stripped the carb and cleaned in US tank. Refitted carb after cleaning and fitted new carb gaskets, again it was a pig to start although once started it ran a little lumpy initially and then ran nice. I stopped it and tried to restart and as above it took 5/6 and would start better on lower throttle speed. Anyway this was now a real headscratcher the carb clean got it running real nice so it has to be something really stupid. Mulling over what I had done I checked the plug gap was correct and looked at the old air filter and noticed the filter I had changed being the original on a 6 year old mower was of orange colour with like a wax strip on the wire mesh side. the filter I fitted was a non genuine filter bought from Stens, once a mower is out of warranty I usually fit non genuine filters and never had a problem. So I decided to get a genuine Honda filter and fit as by this time I'm clutching at straws, it turned up and was different to the original and was more like the non genuine one I had fitted no wax strip the only visible difference was the darker green of the paper element part anyway I fitted it and would you believe it made all the difference. starts and runs perfect now. The genuine part number matches across to the non genuine filter I had initially fitted in the stens book. 
So my question now as I'm rather baffled is why? The chaps at the honda dealers I use for parts cant explain why its made a difference so has anyone else had this sort of problem before or can find me an answer.                           

Mick

Was the original filter a green paper one with black rubber seal?  Most of them today are white paper with a pinky orangey seal P/N 17211 Z8B 901  The Green ones are more like the Briggs ones, with a less pleats in them, while the later ones have more pleats = bigger surface area.

Only real problems I've had with Honda filters is when the carb floods and wets the paper with fuel, that'll make it run a rough as anything.   The Honda's also have a habit of eating heir own exhaust fumes, and sooting up the filters, especially the early auto choke IZY mowers.   
My websites
TGMForum Youtube Channel Please subscribe https://www.youtube.com/@TGMForum
Guitarist Guild

GardenKit

Sorry, I am bit late on this one but find it quite interesting. The non genuine filter was obviously not passing enough air and behaving as a blocked filter would, restricting air flow and over choking a warm engine.
I tried non genuine filters once (not Stens) but found that the paper went a bit 'soggy' quite quickly, not staying anywhere near as crisp and clean as genuine ones, so reverted to using only genuine since then.
Having said that, I must admit that I keep only genuine Briggs 491588s and use them on Honda engines as well as Briggs.
They fit perfectly, and can pass the same volume of air with no problem ( any engine  of the same displacement operating at 3000rpm will move the same volume of air, irrespective of brand)
I have done this for 15 years and thousands of mowers with no problem.
Bit of a baffle about this Stens one though.

Mick

Actually I was wondering if the filter being used had got soaked in petrol, because obviously that would give those symptoms until completely dried out.  Plus the Honda's GCV's are renowned for flooding issues, which makes that scenario very likely.

My websites
TGMForum Youtube Channel Please subscribe https://www.youtube.com/@TGMForum
Guitarist Guild

GardenKit

It would be interesting to know if a second Stens  filter was tried on this machine. :hmm:

TGMF is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.