TGMForum

Recent Posts

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1,938
  • Total Topics: 750
  • Online today: 29
  • Online ever: 275 (January 22, 2020, 07:39:54 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 18
  • Total: 19
  • Mick

Rear wheel cog ratchet lubrication

Started by echase, September 01, 2022, 05:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

echase

The "ratchets" in the rear wheels of my Cobra M51SPH rotary were making a horrible screeching sound when the mower was pushed rather than driven. So I greased them well as there did seem to be a little congealed grease inside the gears. They were then quiet but that stopped the ratchets connecting to drive the cogs.

Is there some medium way between no lubrication to make the pins slide so they connect and greasing them to make them quiet? What about say 3 in 1 oil instead? Can't find any instructions in manual etc. on this. This is the cam, a pin slides in the shaft to engage the cam face. 180605.jpg 

The cam faces on the gears were quite worn so I bought new cogs and pins but not yet fitted them.

Also on the outside teeth of the cog and the mating plastic teeth in the wheel, what is the recommended lubrication? I tried some exotic "dry" bike chain oil in the hope it will not pick up too much grass and turn into a horrible sticky mulch. Not run it long yet though with this treatment.

echase

PS As far as I can tell the ratchet works by gravity and/or centrifugal force making the pin slide off centre so it engages one cam face. There is no spring to force engagement. With grease in it the pin is held too firmly so does not to slide to engage.

But with no lubrication the pin is grating against the sloped faces of the cam and drooping down to the next face.and thus squealing.

Mick

Hi, and welcome to TGMF.

These cams and pins on the Cobra's do tend to wear quite badly.  Pack the back of each pinion with grease, and make sure you're putting the correct pinion on the correct side of the machine, or it wont drive at all.  You can use a type of dry spray lube one the gear teeth in the wheels to slow down the dirt retention.  Though it's wise to remove the wheels and clean up and lube at least once per season.
My websites
TGMForum Youtube Channel Please subscribe https://www.youtube.com/@TGMForum
Guitarist Guild

TGMF is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.