TGMForum
halfords

Recent Posts

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1,856
  • Total Topics: 730
  • Online today: 124
  • Online ever: 275 (January 22, 2020, 07:39:54 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 120
  • Total: 120

I do wonder sometimes.

Started by Mick, February 18, 2020, 10:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick

:hmm:  Why some people think it's ok to run the mower without a air filter.
My websites
TGMForum Youtube Channel Please subscribe https://www.youtube.com/@TGMForum
Guitarist Guild

GardenKit

We see it all, don't we Mick?

Why do people think its OK to run their mower with no oil showing on the dipstick?

Or with the spark plug screwed in only finger tight?

Or handlebars completely loose and wobbly?

Or ride-ons with completely flat tyres?

Or ride-ons with the battery leads only finger tight?

And, more bewilderingly, how do they get away with it without mishap?!!!  If I accidentally left a sparkplug loose I can guarantee that it would blow out, leaving a hole in the bonnet before circling the earth twice, destroying the space station, and then re-entering the atmosphere and smashing the windscreen of the owners Porche.

Mick

All hose things you mentioned Barrie, they irritate me immensely.  The amount of engines that are save from doom because the starter cord broke on first start of the season.  They bring it in for a starter repair, and there's not a drop of oil in the engine.  They were about to use it like that. 

Handle bolts, yes agreed.  Threads are usually knackered because the use the machine with them loose, then of course they won't tighten up at all. 

Talking of handles, Honda really should revise the lower handle fitment on their IZY's, because of the design they flair out at the bottom and dislocate.  Bad, Bad design MR Honda.  ;)

Blades fitted upside down is another common one.   ;)

My websites
TGMForum Youtube Channel Please subscribe https://www.youtube.com/@TGMForum
Guitarist Guild

NOMIS

I suppose I shouldn't be to surprised about a JD-R 43 RS mower that came in last week for a service.
Classic comment of  " It runs lovely, used it until nov last yr" accompanied the mower through the door at drop off time !!
Err...nope ! fully oiled up paper filter allowing the engine to just about fire into life as the auto choke /vain arm was all but useless so not closing the flap when cold. Oil like treacle, blade so blunt it had a folded back bull nose burr on its leading edge !! There was more as you Two can imagine by both being there !.
This machine is the best part of £800-£1000 now depending on the deal so I understand. What I find fore head slapping in disbelief is its age and when it was last maintained ...in ANY way.
2008 and never...not even a oil change after a few weeks usage when new.

GardenKit

Not wishing to advocate this as standard procedure Mr Nomis, as just like you, servicing mowers is how I make my living, but you do have to admire these machines for being able to perform for 12 years with no servicing.
Same plug, same oil, same filter etc.
I see them too, and wonder in disbelief at the customers attitude.
But it suits some people to operate this way, and this particular customer has saved himself around £1200 on servicing over the mowers life.
He's probably going to get a hefty bill now though, but is going to see a massive difference in performance when he gets it back from you.

I have one old gent who bought a Mountfield SP42 from Screwyou & Queue on a Wednesday 15 years ago with OAP discount. I guess it cost him around £150 at the time.
I have serviced it every year since, and he only uses it in dry weather and keeps it in a clean, airy, shed.
It has now cost him around £1500 in servicing, but looks, and works, like new.

NOMIS

Quote from: GardenKit on February 25, 2020, 03:34:02 PM
Not wishing to advocate this as standard procedure Mr Nomis, as just like you, servicing mowers is how I make my living, but you do have to admire these machines for being able to perform for 12 years with no servicing.
Same plug, same oil, same filter etc.
I see them too, and wonder in disbelief at the customers attitude.
But it suits some people to operate this way, and this particular customer has saved himself around £1200 on servicing over the mowers life.
He's probably going to get a hefty bill now though, but is going to see a massive difference in performance when he gets it back from you.

I have one old gent who bought a Mountfield SP42 from Screwyou & Queue on a Wednesday 15 years ago with OAP discount. I guess it cost him around £150 at the time.
I have serviced it every year since, and he only uses it in dry weather and keeps it in a clean, airy, shed.
It has now cost him around £1500 in servicing, but looks, and works, like new.
I bet you have something there with some folks thinking. I hear this a lot...."its been very reliable up till now" . You then find the machine is often yrs old with zero maintaining. It seems that there judgment on how good a machine is stems from how long its given trouble free service until it stops or brakes. This is often backed up with.."my last mower worked for yrs and yrs and I never had to touch it " .
Mowers , saws, line trimmers......etc , way down the food chain it would seem , but if it was there car....well ??

Allan Macpherson

Mowers , saws, line trimmers......etc , way down the food chain it would seem , but if it was there car....well ??

:hmm: I don't do much repairs any more but all my personal gear is kept in perfect running order even although most of it's getting on for veteran but I 'm ashamed to say that my car is another story.....but being German it doesn't seem to need maintenance, touch wood.... ;D

TGMF is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.