TGMForum
screwfix

Recent Posts

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1,856
  • Total Topics: 730
  • Online today: 11
  • Online ever: 275 (January 22, 2020, 07:39:54 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 59
  • Total: 60
  • Mick
  • Google (AdSense)

help with chipper bearings replacement

Started by mbell, January 21, 2018, 01:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbell

Hi, I'm trying to replace the bearings on a  6.5 hp chipper/shredder but am unable to remove the fixing pin/lug for the belt pulley from the axle. Has anyone got any ideas?
Many thanks

Mulcher

I take it your referring to the Woodruff-type key (the lozenge shaped key that fits in a slot on the shaft)?

I'd try the escalating levels of force routine.
1. Soak it in Plus Gas penetrating oil (if you can find it), or GT85 / WD40. I often use s mix of carb cleaner & GT85 – the carb cleaner is highly penetrant and helps carry the lubricant into the tiniest of gaps.
2. Repeatedly tap it gently a couple of times each side to help work it loose.
3. If that doesn't work I'd get a blowtorch on it and heat up the shaft. The heat causes the shaft to expand and helps break the seal.

mbell

many thanks Mulcher - all 3 methods deployed and mission successful without much collateral damage

Mick

I'm a bit late to the party, but glad you got it sorted.

I'd probably resort to the same methods mentioned above, after trying to lever it out with a pair of sidecutters or pincers.  These having a sharp edge will get a hold of the key pretty well. Normally, once you get it on the move it's a done deal.

Obviously would recommend using an old pair of cutters, not you're best ones for this job, but as long as they are reasonably sharp. 
My websites
TGMForum Youtube Channel Please subscribe https://www.youtube.com/@TGMForum
Guitarist Guild

Mulcher

Pleased you got it sorted mbell.

Mick, I'll add your tip to the repertoire

Rohens

Quote from: Mulcher on January 21, 2018, 03:57:13 PM
I take it your referring to the Woodruff-type key (the lozenge shaped key that fits in a slot on the shaft)?

I wish I've seen this post when I've had this issue. I guess I applied a bit too much force when I was doing it and messed it up completely. You live and you learn I guess.

TGMF is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.