TGMForum
harrod

Recent Posts

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1,854
  • Total Topics: 729
  • Online today: 58
  • Online ever: 275 (January 22, 2020, 07:39:54 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 56
  • Total: 56

Restoring a Honda HRH536 HXE

Started by Swissqp, October 29, 2020, 10:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swissqp

Evening all. I bought a 2006 HRH536 for about GBP63 to restore and sell on. I'll document progress on here. She looked in a terrible state but I took a chance and a clean of the carb and she fired up straight away with no smoke. She was running at almost 4,000rpm so a new throttle governor spring and back in the right hole and she's back at the right 3,000rpm level (Manual says 2,800 but the GXV likes a little more).

So I started by giving the mower a good run picking up leaves. She was perfect but she tracks wrong as the previous owners/users obviously rammed it in to something and bent anc cracked the front wheel adjusters. After making sure the drive worked well, I cleaned the mower then took off the fan cover, recoil and exhaust cover and resprayed them. 400grit sand paper, a good degrease, primer and then a close paint match to Honda R280 power red. So far so good.

Then the BBC was removed. All in good order but the driven disk and spring were beyond service limits. I was feeling buoyant but then I tried to remove the engine from the deck. Some numpty had used a tube of loctite. Two of them snapped. Bang goes GBP130 on a new sump (I don't have the time to try and extract). But the good news is the engine is off the mower.

A parts delivery arrived earlier today with new tyres. So tomorrow I'll remove the handle bar and other bits ready to power wash, degrease and prepare the deck for respray.....pictures to follow.

Mick

Looks like it's been worked well Tim, though it's not really beat up like some.  You fitting tyres on all four wheels?  What's wrong with the old ones are they split or something?

A tutorial on how to replace those tyres would be interesting.  ;)
My websites
TGMForum Youtube Channel Please subscribe https://www.youtube.com/@TGMForum
Guitarist Guild

Swissqp

Hi Mick, will do. The main thing is to get the tyres in to very hot water, grease the wheel get the bottom of the tyre over the wheel, put it in the vice and use a big screwdriver to gently manipulate the tyre on to the wheel.

Swissqp

Parts order gone in including new front wheel adjusters (bent, cracked), rear chute guard (hole), rear rubber guard, new tyres, logos, cables, grass bag and BBC bits. I even find replacing the faded hydrostatic levers helps get top dollar.

So Friday 30 Oct: Next sage is remove handle, remove and clean transmission, wheels and front bar. All went well until I wanted to remove the rear wheel bearings which were stuck on the shaft. A lot of penetrating fluid, propane heat and hammering a punch in the shaft while pulling the wheel (thanks Mick for the advice) and they were off. Beer O'clock.

Saturday 31 Oct: Tried to remove the transmission but the shaft rollers that turn the wheels were stuck fast. Hammering them with a punch did nothing. Again, a lot of cursing, hammering with a punch, penetrating oil and heat and finally it came out.

Sunday 1 November - started process of painting wheels and front bumper. Primed underside of the deck.
All that was left was to thoroughly clean the mower deck and get rid of flaky pain.I used degreaser and a Karcher. Sanded down then washed down. Given the bare metal I used a primer. The old tyres were removed from the wheels and they were cleaned prior to painting.

Sundat   

Swissqp

Quote from: Mick on October 30, 2020, 08:22:51 AMLooks like it's been worked well Tim, though it's not really beat up like some.  You fitting tyres on all four wheels?  What's wrong with the old ones are they split or something?

A tutorial on how to replace those tyres would be interesting.  ;)

Swissqp

So a bit of progress made. Wheels resprayed, new tyres and new bearings. Deck and under deck resprayed.

Swissqp

So here she is ready for sale after a good 30min test in my own garden. The hardest part was to replace the oil pan as the previous idiot had decided to use Loctite which broke the bolts. 

TGMF is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.