TGMForum

Recent Posts

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1,917
  • Total Topics: 746
  • Online today: 74
  • Online ever: 275 (January 22, 2020, 07:39:54 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 49
  • Total: 49
  • Google (2)

Toro personal pace - wheels locking when should turn independanly

Started by PL2012, December 15, 2020, 02:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PL2012

Hi folks. I have a Toro personal pace mower. The drive works fine, the mower can move forward and backwards without issue. The problem happens upon turning when the rear wheels need to turn in opposite directions to swivel ... they are locking up. If i have wheels off the ground the wheels move freely forwards and backwards but seize when try and move them in opposite directions.

The photo shows the 2 shafts which I believe should rotate independantly from each other (i believe this as i have a second mower the same and they move independantly on that one) but are solid when I try opposite direction  ..... Is this a gearbox fatality issue or repairable. Any ideas?
20201215_131440_2.jpg

Mick

Hi.  I'm assuming then this one has the fixed drive pinions on the end of the gearbox drive shafts, behind each wheel?  Or are they the type that freewheel in one direction? 

What's the exact model number of the machine, that might help narrow it down a bit. 
My websites
TGMForum Youtube Channel Please subscribe https://www.youtube.com/@TGMForum
Guitarist Guild

PL2012

Quote from: Mick on December 15, 2020, 02:49:18 PMHi.  I'm assuming then this one has the fixed drive pinions on the end of the gearbox drive shafts, behind each wheel?  Or are they the type that freewheel in one direction? 

What's the exact model number of the machine, that might help narrow it down a bit. 

Hi Mick ,.,, its the 20899 Super Bagger model and yes it has pinion gears each end of the shaft, I have already replaced them before i realised it was the shaft itself

Jrich

Don't deal much in repairing toros down here in the south west, Is this one of the models where the gearbox is pulled back by the cable to tension. If so check the box is returning back properly and check the cable isn't gone stiff, if the belt is griping the pulley it will probably lock the wheels. If you haven't looked already the toro parts list is on the Web it looks fairly simple setup

TGMF is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.