TGMForum

Recent Posts

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1,854
  • Total Topics: 729
  • Online today: 58
  • Online ever: 275 (January 22, 2020, 07:39:54 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 80
  • Total: 80
  • Yandex
  • Google (AdSense)
  • Google

Carburettor for Kawasaki TD18 Golden Star Strimmer

Started by Sid4212, August 20, 2019, 02:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sid4212

Hello All,

Can anyone help me with sourcing a replacement carburettor for the Kawasaki TD18 engine in my strimmer?

It's a Teikei and there is a photo attached.

It's a very old strimmer but it's worked well over the years and it's lightweight. I bought a cheap new replacement brushcutter/strimmer powered by a Hyundai engine when I'd given up trying to get my old Golden Star started. The new one is OK but it's a bit cumbersome and I need to wear a harness when using it.

I'd really like to get my old one working again. I've tried all the usual things like new spark plug, checed for spark,  fresh fuel, clean air filter, dismamted carb and cleaned jets  but it keeps flooding and is showing no signs of life at all.

When the carb on my old chainsaw gave up I managed to get a cheap Chinese equivalent but no such luck this time!

Cheers

Mick

Hi, and welcome to TGMF

Now that's a old one.  :hmm: I'll be honest and say I doubt you'll find a new one of those carbs, they weren't the most reliable at best.  I've seen a few diaphragm kits about but not complete carbs, that might be something to try.  Or you might find a second hand one, but that is likely to be in a similar condition to what you have. 

Maybe someone will read your post and come up with a solution.  ;)
My websites
TGMForum Youtube Channel Please subscribe https://www.youtube.com/@TGMForum
Guitarist Guild

Jrich

I presume you have tried kawasaki I had a clutch for an old strimmer of theirs and was so surprised they still had it in stock

Mick

Jrich Welcome to TGMF.

There is always that option, I'm still doubtful they'd have one, but I guess it's certainly worth a try.  ;)
My websites
Guitarist Guild

Mick

Quote from: Sid4212 on August 20, 2019, 02:14:08 PM

I'd really like to get my old one working again. I've tried all the usual things like new spark plug, checed for spark,  fresh fuel, clean air filter, dismamted carb and cleaned jets  but it keeps flooding and is showing no signs of life at all.

I've found a couple of similar carbs on ebay, but these are for different models, so no idea if they would be suitable, wrong jetting etc. 

Going back to your old carb.  You said you cleaned the jets etc, but no mention of diaphragms, di you check those? 

If the metering diaphragm has gone stiff, which is more than likely given its age, then that might be the cause of the flooding, they become almost clicky and that could be leaning on the metering arm holding the valve open.   Also if it has gone stiff it definitely won't run properly even if you do get it started. 
My websites
Guitarist Guild

IanD

Quote from: Sid4212 on August 20, 2019, 02:14:08 PM
Hello All,

Can anyone help me with sourcing a replacement carburettor for the Kawasaki TD18 engine in my strimmer?

It's a Teikei and there is a photo attached.

It's a very old strimmer but it's worked well over the years and it's lightweight. I bought a cheap new replacement brushcutter/strimmer powered by a Hyundai engine when I'd given up trying to get my old Golden Star started. The new one is OK but it's a bit cumbersome and I need to wear a harness when using it.

When the carb on my old chainsaw gave up I managed to get a cheap Chinese equivalent but no such luck this time!

Cheers

I also have a Kawasaki TD18 Brush Cutter did you find a Carb refurb kit or an alternative Carburettor?

sturr

https://youtu.be/Ask5Ax0ORUI?t=521
I had the same problem with my TD18 strimmer. Watched the vid I posted above. In this case I found out the flooding was because of the replacement diaphragm (with the piece of metal shaped like a daisy) having too long a little button on the inside. Took off some of that with the dremel. Now it starts at last. Good luck :)

TGMF is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.