TGMForum
halfords

Recent Posts

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1,980
  • Total Topics: 757
  • Online today: 53
  • Online ever: 275 (January 22, 2020, 07:39:54 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 48
  • Total: 48
  • Google

Stihl KM96 RC E

Started by Kevin, August 17, 2023, 11:49:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Hello everyone,

I have been asked to look at a KM94 RC E which is used in conjunction with a long reach hedge cutting attachment. The owner has said that it makes a strange noise when he is using it at fairly high throttle settings. I have run it my self for about 20 minutes at different throttle settings and I have noticed a very occasional metallic clicking sound that appears to come from around the exhaust area. I have also noticed a small amount of vibration when I have my hand placed on the recoil starter housing.

I am not sure if this sound is maybe the signs of needle roller bearing failure but in the past the clicking has been constant with this type of failure. I am a bit puzzled and I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience?

Cheers

Kevin

Mick

Not come across this one before, the main bearings can fail but they are normal ball bearings, only needle bearings will be big and small end.  vibration can also be caused by a stuck clutch shoe on some models that's fairly common.  The ticking noise I'm really not sure about.  A silencer breaking up, or flywheel touching coil perhaps.  Hopefully nothing too drastic.
My websites
TGMForum Youtube Channel Please subscribe https://www.youtube.com/@TGMForum
Guitarist Guild

Kevin

Hi Mick,

I thought I ought to tell you what I found was causing the vibration.

The peg on one of the plastic starter pawls had snapped off. The pawl had been rattling around in the starter side of the engine depending on how the machine was being held. The vibration was less obvious when holding the machine vertically. The broken pawl was still present and very battered. I have fitted a complete new pawl assembly just in case the other one breaks.

Cheers

Kevin

TGMF is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.