• Online Today: 66
  • Online Ever: 101
  • (October 10, 2018, 12:23:28 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 6
Total: 7
VigLink badge

Show us the gardening dea...Does anyone know where I ...Variable speed verses fix...UPDATE: Christchurch gard...Make your first cut countA to Z of herbs: G is for...Grow your own rhubarbBest power attachments fo...How to Sharpen Your Chain...Battery tools on the upKit for pitchesBattle of the sizes 200 l...Question time with the UK...Making and using leaf mou...Planting spring-flowering...Stylised Hedge Trimming T...

Author Topic: Hedge cutting?  (Read 1390 times)

Online Mick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Guitarist Guild
Hedge cutting?
« on: July 15, 2017, 02:21:38 PM »
What time of year is best for cutting conifer hedges?  Don't want to disturb birds nesting etc, so does anyone know if there is there a right and wrong time for doing this.

Offline Harvz

• View Profile
Re: Hedge cutting?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 04:13:55 PM »
Anytime from now until late Autumn. Young birds have left nests already, and best to cut before the coldest of the winter months risks frost damage to the cut ends, especially if cutting back hard.

Offline tomrainier

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 09:18:30 AM »
I'd say very early spring or autumn. Just try to mind their nests and you'll be good to go. Some bird don't even fly South anymore because of global warming so there's a good chance that you'll need to pay attention even in the colder months. Then again, I don't know where you're from so they might as well be gone during autumn/winter :D That's a good time I'd say!

Offline sneax

• buy sneakers online? Nike, Puma, Adidas, etc
    • View Profile
    • http://sneakerstudio.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 07:21:59 PM »
I'd say very early spring or autumn. Just try to mind their nests and you'll be good to go. Some bird don't even fly South anymore because of global warming so there's a good chance that you'll need to pay attention even in the colder months. Then again, I don't know where you're from so they might as well be gone during autumn/winter :D That's a good time I'd say!

I concur, I'd suggest to avoid full-blown summer , especially when it gets fry and hot. Simple.