TGMForum

Recent Posts

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1,856
  • Total Topics: 730
  • Online today: 124
  • Online ever: 275 (January 22, 2020, 07:39:54 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 25
  • Total: 25

Two Stroke Oil

Started by Mick, August 13, 2017, 04:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick

What two stroke oil do you use for your strimmer's, or chainsaws etc..  2 stroke oil is a bit of a minefield these days, so many to choose from, some engines prefer certain oils, some will fail if the wrong oil is used.

Do you use one oil and mix for all your 2 strokes.  So what oil would you recommend and why? Also is there any to be avoided in your opinion?
My websites
TGMForum Youtube Channel Please subscribe https://www.youtube.com/@TGMForum
Guitarist Guild

Harvz

I use the same 2 stroke oil for all my machines, and haven't had any issues so far.
One thing that I did see though was that the 2 stroke mixing bottles are useless. I have had 2 different ones, and found that they had 2 problems- firstly that it is difficult to gauge the correct levels using the markings, and secondly (and more serious) that the measurements were massively incorrect. One of the bottles was so bad that, on subsequent investigation it was found to be giving mixes of around 25:1 instead of the required 40:1.
Instead now I use a plastic 25ml measuring spoon, fill the petrol container with exactly 4 or 5 litres, then put 4 or 5 spoonfulls of oil into it. Much more exact mix.

Mick

I run all mine on STIHL HP Super at 50:1 

Pretty easy mix, 100ml oil to 5ltrs fuel. Sorted.  Here's a tip for those that use the STIHL one shot oils, buy a one shot, use it and keep the bottle and cut the top off.  Next time you need oil buy the bigger bottle which works out a lot cheaper in the long run, then use the old one shot bottle as a measure.  ;)
My websites
TGMForum Youtube Channel Please subscribe https://www.youtube.com/@TGMForum
Guitarist Guild

TGMF is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.