TGMForum

Recent Posts

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 2,089
  • Total Topics: 784
  • Online today: 39
  • Online ever: 275 (January 22, 2020, 07:39:54 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 22
  • Total: 23
  • Mick
  • Google (2)

Qualcast Suffolk punch 35s

Started by Paul B, May 18, 2024, 03:42:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul B

I have just bought a Qualcast Suffolk Punch 35s on FB marketplace, it runs well however, the big drive wheel is slipping and the mower seems to be 'digging' in to the lawn. I have tried adjusting the height but it seems to make no difference. It is not the most even lawn, so could that be it?
I would really welcome some advice.
Thanks  :)

Mick

I'm going to guess a little on this one, because I'm not sure of the age and model series you have.  I reckon if you remove the four allen screws from the side cover, you'll find the adjusting arm on the front roller frame has slipped down behind the plastic adjuster plate. 

While in there you should be able to see why it's not driving, probably pink gear behind the pulley has failed.

Some images would be handy if possible.
My websites
TGMForum Youtube Channel Please subscribe https://www.youtube.com/@TGMForum
Guitarist Guild

Paul B

Hi Mick
Thanks for your reply. Apologies I was not clear in my description, I'm a newby to this. The actual drive wheel 'drum' (the part that actually makes contact with the ground) does drive okay but slips on the grass every few feet. I have tried adjusting the cut height adjuster but that doesn't help. The lawn is a bit uneven, Lords cricket ground it aint. Any suggestions?

Mick

Ok, so the rear roller is still turning but slipping on the grass?  Either the machine is bottoming out over the bumps, or the grass is just far too long for this machine. 

Cylinder mowers really don't like long grass and undulating surfaces, they tend to just fold it down instead of cutting it. They did make a long grass kit which basically removed the front middle rollers and just left the two small outer ones in place, but even then if the grass is too long it will struggle.

We would normally recommend a four wheeled rotary mower for this scenario. Even some rear roller rotary's struggle on bumpy surfaces.
My websites
Guitarist Guild

Paul B

That's really helpful., thanks. That makes a lot of sense. I should have sought advice before buying the Suffolk punch. I will have to work on getting the ground to the right quality to be able to use it properly.
The guy I bought it from did say he later found a plastic front fairing for the mower, I will of course collect that. However, do you thing that would improve it?
Many thanks again.

Mick

Quote from: Paul B on May 19, 2024, 09:22:38 AMThat's really helpful., thanks. That makes a lot of sense. I should have sought advice before buying the Suffolk punch. I will have to work on getting the ground to the right quality to be able to use it properly.

That would certainly help. Just getting the grass down nice a short should also help.  You need to cut more often with this type of machine just to keep it at a a decent height.

Quote from: Paul B on May 19, 2024, 09:22:38 AMThe guy I bought it from did say he later found a plastic front fairing for the mower, I will of course collect that. However, do you thing that would improve it?
Many thanks again.

Do you mean the Grass box? If so it will probably make matters worse as it will add some weight to the front. Instead of over the driven roller.  I'm sure you'll be fine once the lawn is levelled a bit though.  ;)
My websites
Guitarist Guild

Paul B

Thanks for your advice. I will work on getting it flatter and shorter.
No not the grass box, I already have that. He called it a plastic front fairing.
Thanks again.

TGMF is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.