TGMForum
harrod

Recent Posts

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1,856
  • Total Topics: 730
  • Online today: 124
  • Online ever: 275 (January 22, 2020, 07:39:54 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 73
  • Total: 73

Weibang Legacy Pro56 Drive Problems

Started by Kevin, July 24, 2020, 11:26:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

I have a 2016 Weibang Legacy 56 Pro in my workshop which is somewhat different to the Hayters I am used to.

I have just replaced the rear roller bearings and plastic/nylon roller bushes because these were destroyed or worn. This all went well and now I have to look at the drive because the owner has complained of it struggling to climb gradients. I have tested the drive and found it to be fine on a hard surface but looses drive on grass. Does anyone know if this problem is solely the gearbox and what is the best solution for a repair?

Mick

Hi Kevin. and welcome to TGMF.

What I've found with these Weibangs is the double pully between the two belts has a very soft spring between the the two inner pully half's.  This is supposed to be spring loaded to keep the belts tensioned.  I've had a couple where the spring has gone limp and therefore the belts were running loose causing the symptoms you describe.

So I would check the two belts make sure they haven't worn excessively, and check that double pulley between the belts.   There's a modified pulley for these now, if I can find the bulletin I'll post it up for you..
My websites
TGMForum Youtube Channel Please subscribe https://www.youtube.com/@TGMForum
Guitarist Guild

Mick

Quote from: Mick on July 24, 2020, 05:36:01 PM

There's a modified pulley for these now, if I can find the bulletin I'll post it up for you..

Found it, this is the service bulletin showing the old double tensioner pulley on the left, and the new type tensioner pulley to the right of it.
My websites
Guitarist Guild

Kevin

Hi Mick,

Thanks for the welcome and the information for the pulley/tensioner assembly.

I suspected the belt tensioner because the spring between the pulley seemed so week (I can pull the two long runs of the belt that drives the gearbox together with no effort). One drive belt is new and I am not sure about the belt from the engine to the pulleys/tensioner.

I will let you know how I get on.

Kevin

Mick

Quote from: kevinthelawnmowerman on July 25, 2020, 05:01:45 PM

Thanks for the welcome and the information for the pulley/tensioner assembly.

I suspected the belt tensioner because the spring between the pulley seemed so week (I can pull the two long runs of the belt that drives the gearbox together with no effort). One drive belt is new and I am not sure about the belt from the engine to the pulleys/tensioner.

That was the issue I had, the spring between the pulley halves seemed very limp and lifeless, probably a very poor quality spring to be honest.  The modified pulley twists and separates much like the Hayter Harrier ones, but of a more solid construction.  That does of course mean it will like belts with no wear in them.  You'll probably notice your belts have worn pretty thin, or at least one of them will have worn badly.  ;)

Quote from: kevinthelawnmowerman on July 25, 2020, 05:01:45 PM

I will let you know how I get on.

Please do.   :tup: 
My websites
Guitarist Guild

Kevin

Afternoon Mick,

New tensioner has been fitted along with one new belt (the other belt was only fitted 10 days ago) and the mower now drives well.

Thanks again for the information  :tup:

Kevin 

Evergreen1976

Apologies for dragging an old post up I wanted to ask you all for some advice please if I may.
I've suggest acquired a second hand Weibang 56 Legacy pro with a fault on it. before i start tearing the thing apart i wanted to ask if the fault it was sold for is a common fault and what would be the first thing you guys check, change or replace please.
the machine runs and cuts well however it has lost its drive and apparently very difficult to roll backwards.
any help or indication would be really appreciated.

thank you.

Mick

Quote from: Evergreen1976 on August 01, 2022, 09:31:34 AMApologies for dragging an old post up I wanted to ask you all for some advice please if I may.
I've suggest acquired a second hand Weibang 56 Legacy pro with a fault on it. before i start tearing the thing apart i wanted to ask if the fault it was sold for is a common fault and what would be the first thing you guys check, change or replace please.
the machine runs and cuts well however it has lost its drive and apparently very difficult to roll backwards.
any help or indication would be really appreciated.

thank you.

First thing I would do is remove the chain cover and remove the chain, then you can ascertain whether it's the roller or gearbox stopping it from pulling backwards. 

It could be seized bearings on the gearbox output shaft (either side of gearbox). Possibly even one of the sprocket retaining pins fallen out and jamming the chain. I wouldn't say either of those are common faults, but possible. 
My websites
Guitarist Guild

TGMF is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.