TGMForum

Recent Posts

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1,854
  • Total Topics: 729
  • Online today: 58
  • Online ever: 275 (January 22, 2020, 07:39:54 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 81
  • Total: 81
  • Yandex
  • Google

Chainsaws for the domestic user

Started by Mick, March 19, 2017, 02:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick

I sometimes wonder why you only need a certificate to purchase a tiny top handled chainsaw, but you don't need one to purchase a larger more powerful chainsaw with a massive bar and chain on it.  People could do some serious damage with a four foot bar, let alone nearly kill themselves trying to start the thing.  ;)

Your thoughts?
My websites
TGMForum Youtube Channel Please subscribe https://www.youtube.com/@TGMForum
Guitarist Guild

paulmowers

Hi Mick
Funny thing is only last week I had to write off a customers old Dolmar saw due to broken up big end bearings and the first thing he asked was can i just buy a saw without a certificate, I told him he could but not a top handled saw. He has now got a nice new 20"stihl!
On the one hand, having seen the dangerous state some saws are in when they bring them in because they wont start, with drooping chains, bars worn so far the drive links are exposed, inoperable brakes, broken av mounts, etc, etc, I am inclined to say there should be some form of training before they are let loose with a saw, but then I would need to take it too in order to replace any of my saws!!!  I think I am what you might call time served, 30 years using saws without a single incident.

Paul

Mick

Paul. I've been repairing horticultural machinery for 40 years, and I'll be honest say nothing surprises me any more.  Some times when someone bring in a machine a thought goes through my mind instantly.  "It's a good job the machine won't start mate, because it shouldn't be used in that state" (I removed the expletives from my thoughts).

Like you said, Bar and chains and sprockets in a hell of a state, chains on backwards, neat fuel in tank, the list goes on tbh.  One thing that does P me off though is when they have fitted a new starter cord and not told you.  So you go for it, only to discover they've fitted a cord about a foot long. That really get my goat.

People who think they can repair stuff, but they clearly can't, when you discover they have had the carb apart.  And people who hand you the recoil starter in bits, spring like a birds nest because they tried to fit a cord.  Rant over.  :)
My websites
TGMForum Youtube Channel Please subscribe https://www.youtube.com/@TGMForum
Guitarist Guild

tomrainier

It depends on what domestics users want to do I think and how much they need chainsaws? Someone who rarely saws anything shouldn't need a chainsaw at all in my opinion

TGMF is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.