TGMForum

Recent Posts

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1,854
  • Total Topics: 729
  • Online today: 80
  • Online ever: 275 (January 22, 2020, 07:39:54 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 19
  • Total: 19
  • Yandex
  • Google

Who's got one of the new Hayter Harrier's

Started by Mick, June 14, 2019, 04:55:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick

Who's got one of the new hayter Harrier 48 Model 475A, 48 Pro 479A, Or 56: 575A, 56 Pro 579A? Just wondering what you think of them compared to the older models.  These are the ones with the BBC blade clutch.

Think the contractor will love them as they are so bloody fast compared to the older models.  In fact if I didn't know better I'd say they have made them a tad too fast for most users. That said they do already supply a kit to sow them down, but I haven't seen or fitted one yet.
My websites
TGMForum Youtube Channel Please subscribe https://www.youtube.com/@TGMForum
Guitarist Guild

Mick

Getting back to the speed on these new Hayter Harriers.

:hmm: I do believe Hayter's have screwed up a little on this, you nearly have to run behind the 41 Pro, so I'd imagine the operator is going to be slightly knackered after a days mowing, not to mention there's no way it'll cut properly at that speed, especially with todays reduced engine speeds.

Hayter's do offer a speed reduction kit which consists of a couple of sprockets and a chain, the one for the roller being larger.  There's also a new plastic chain cover in the kit modified to fit over the new enlarged sprocket.  But unfortunately this kit is not free, and you'll have to stump up for it.  It's about £20 for the kit if I remember correctly.

Anyway, happy mowing.  ;)
My websites
Guitarist Guild

NOMIS

Mick.
I have a older customer who went from a early throttle control 48 to a new 41 with vari speed (the 41Vari speed is faster than the 48 vari speed in the spec) and it was just to fast for him ..even on the lowest setting. Being a fixed speed in-start all I could do for him was back the engines speed off to 2500 rpm (not ideal I know for blade speed ) to allow him to at least use the mower. At least he only cuts short lawn grass and not scruffy longer stuff.
No feedback on a new 48 with Vari speed another customer has as yet ..but I clocked the plastic roller though.

Mick

Quote from: NOMIS on October 18, 2019, 10:51:37 AM

No feedback on a new 48 with Vari speed another customer has as yet ..but I clocked the plastic roller though.

Hi NOMIS, and welcome to TGMF.   :welcome:

The domestic 48 isn't too bad speed wise from what I've seen, you should try a 48 Pro, now they are ridiculously fast. lol..  It's the first time I've had Pro users complain about a mower which is too fast, normally they moan about them being too slow.

The rollers on the new Harriers need to be checked for end play, and shimmed up if excessive.  If you leave the play in there it allows crap to get into the freewheel mechanisms and they will fail.  ;)
My websites
Guitarist Guild

NOMIS

Thanks for the welcome Mick  :)
A domestic 48 shows as having a better lower speed but due to this chaps age he wanted a smaller and lighter mower hence going down the 41 with the instart motor. Il keep what you say about the shimming in mind (thanks for the heads up) when i next see this mower for its service. I have no customers with the pro versions but i new they were ...speedy !
There never is a one size fits all deal ,so finding the best compromise is often where we end up when trying to fit the machine to Man and Grass.

Gregs mowing

Got them all  ;D  far too quick, the previous 56 pro (566) was just about bearable but useless in the wet. I did the speed reduction kit on the 41, easy to do. Had it done on 48 pro, new crank pulley and gearbox pulley. Seemed that the chain cover was exactly the same to me. However I did use the new one. Problem is Hayter did a lot of market research when developing the mowers which is great. But if you are asked in the summer when its bone dry do you want a quick mower or a slow one. 9 times out of 10 you are going to say quick, pro users anyway. The vari speed seems good for domestic but I would have preferred to see a 3 speed box in all the harrier pros, just like weibang and luckily the glorified 56 the Prostripe. So it allows you the freedom of going very slow and nice walking pace which helps in the wet then fastest when its bone dry. If they done that I doubt they will get everyone moaning its too quick as you can change the speed, where 41,48 are single speed so its a bit limited. And the 3 speed box wont fit the 48 deck.

Mick

Quote from: Gregs mowing on January 12, 2020, 04:46:13 PM

I did the speed reduction kit on the 41, easy to do.  Seemed that the chain cover was exactly the same to me. However I did use the new one.

The 41 speed reduction kit just comprises of a replacement chain cover,  fresh gearbox sprocket, and a larger roller sprocket and longer chain to suite.  If you look inside the back of the original cover you'll see a lump just inside which has been removed in the new cover that comes with the kit.  This is to stop the larger sprocket from touching that internal lump.

Speeds:  I realise that many Pro users complained about the Harriers being too slow, but  they appear to be all over the place with the new Harriers.  The 48 Pro without the reduction kit travels at around 3.4 mph, fitting the kit brings it down to 3 mph.

The Toro Prostripe does a speed of 3.2 mph in top gear, so the Harrier with speed reduction is only 0.2 mph slower, and you're stuck with that speed full time. 

The variable speed system that nearly all the makers have adopted now, Stihl / Viking, Cobra, and Hayter to name a few,  seems very inconsistent. Speed will change (increase) as the belt wares, so some identical machines will be faster than others.  Cables are an absolute nightmare to change on these systems as well.

Although I'm not big fan of the drive changes, the manufacturers are in a position where they can't please everyone all of the time.  That I can fully understand.

My websites
Guitarist Guild

Mick

Greg, did you find the cause of that horrible noise your Harrier 56 Pro was making? I saw your video on Facebook, but couldn't hear it clearly enough to come up with a definitive answer.  Maybe post it here as well, so people can offer their ideas.
My websites
Guitarist Guild

Gregs mowing

found the 56 made a rattly metallic sound when blade engaged. this 56 pro with variable speed box isn't comfortable to use. top speed too fast for me. thats why I prefer the prostripe when it comes to bagging esp in damp or worse conditions, in the dry its no problem.

Mick

Variable speed?

Rattle is probably something to do with the bbc mechanism I would think.  Take blade and disc off and see if the drive pully is loose where it slides onto the top of the bbc  I've seen this happen on the 48 Pro's

My websites
Guitarist Guild

Gregs mowing

Mick

Quote from: Gregs mowing on January 22, 2020, 08:35:21 AM
Ok I'll look into it. Thanks

Greg.  This is easily checked, if you (standing behind machine) turn the machine on to its R/H side.  Remove blade and disc, remove the three screws situated behind where disc sits, and the two screws further back on that cover, where it bolts to rear of deck.  Pull that cover off and you should be able to get your hand in and feel what's happening in there.  Check small drive pulley nearest to engine isn't loose, and while there check the top pulley half of the bbc isn't moving about as well, it should be solid on its hub.

My websites
Guitarist Guild

Mick

No problem.  Hopefully you'll find the cause of it.  ;)
My websites
Guitarist Guild

TGMF is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.