TGMForum

Recent Posts

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1,856
  • Total Topics: 730
  • Online today: 124
  • Online ever: 275 (January 22, 2020, 07:39:54 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 28
  • Total: 28
  • Yandex

choice of engine oil

Started by mbell, February 23, 2018, 11:20:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbell

Hello, have just got a new chipper and pressure washer and wonder whether treating these machines to a expensive branded engine oil does carry any advantages over a generic oil. Does anyone have an answer / opinion? Thanks Dom

Mick

What engines are on these machines? 

Example, B&S like a SAE 30 oil, and Honda recommend a 10w30

A multi grade will cover a broader range of operating temperature conditions, but you might find it uses more oil. Air cooled engines do burn oil, at a small rate per hour.

If it's a Briggs engine, I'd just stick with a SAE 30, if it's anything else I would go with the spec found in the manual.  I personally wouldn't bother with a expensive oil, you'll still have to change it at the same service intervals anyway.

Bottom line: Just go with the recommended.
My websites
TGMForum Youtube Channel Please subscribe https://www.youtube.com/@TGMForum
Guitarist Guild

mbell

Thanks Mick, in the end I opted for the Screwfix  no-nonsense engine oil, because of the  specification as below, which on paper appears perfect:
Specially formulated SAE 30 oil, suitable for 4-stroke lawnmowers, stationary engines and generators. Contains high performance additive which prolongs engine life and reduces carbon deposits at high temperatures.

Mick

Quote from: mbell on February 28, 2018, 01:51:40 PM
Thanks Mick, in the end I opted for the Screwfix  no-nonsense engine oil, because of the  specification as below, which on paper appears perfect:
Specially formulated SAE 30 oil, suitable for 4-stroke lawnmowers, stationary engines and generators. Contains high performance additive which prolongs engine life and reduces carbon deposits at high temperatures.

No idea on the Screwfix stuff in particular, but as long as it meets the specs it'll be fine. 

You'll be surprised just how many machines come in because they broke the starter cord, or some other problem, but when you pull the dipstick there's no oil in there at all, and they were just about to use it. lol..  Good job they couldn't start it really.
My websites
TGMForum Youtube Channel Please subscribe https://www.youtube.com/@TGMForum
Guitarist Guild

TGMF is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.