TGMForum
gardenbuildingsdirect

Recent Posts

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1,856
  • Total Topics: 730
  • Online today: 124
  • Online ever: 275 (January 22, 2020, 07:39:54 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 110
  • Total: 110

Honda F220 Tiller

Started by Kevin, November 07, 2021, 12:58:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Hi Everyone,

I am sorry for posting this topic in the lawnmower section but this is the most viewed section and there is no sub section for tillers etc.

In my workshop I have a Honda F220 tiller that suffers from two faults, the first being poor running (an easy fix) and the second is that the tines rotate even when the drive engaging cable is disconnected from the clutch lever. I have taken the engine off the tiller unit to reveal a simple expanding shoe arrangement that locks a set of gears to drive the tines. other than a bit of wear I can see no reason why the tines should continue to rotate unless there is something amiss with the drive mechanism.

has anybody out there had a similar experience with this machine?

Kevin

Mick

Quote from: kevinthelawnmowerman on November 07, 2021, 12:58:03 PMI am sorry for posting this topic in the lawnmower section

No problem Kevin, I just created a board for tillers / rotavators and moved your post to it. That was entirely my fault. ;)

Weak clutch springs, or idle speed too high perhaps?  I've not looked inside one of those for quite some time to be honest.

My websites
TGMForum Youtube Channel Please subscribe https://www.youtube.com/@TGMForum
Guitarist Guild

Kevin

Hi Mick and anyone else that might find this useful.

The F220 has a transmission arrangement that just relies on expanding shoes to lock the three driven gears and drum which then drives the tines. It does not have a centrifugal clutch system.

On this particular machine I found the shoes to be slightly binding on the drum. To cure this I just removed a small amount of metal from each end of the shoes where they contact the expander.

I also found that cable adjustment was critical and the position of the spring that connects the drive cable to the expander lever. This spring must be tucked against the side of the engine to assist in ensuring the expander lever returns to the neutral postion.

TGMF is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.