TGMForum

Recent Posts

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1,856
  • Total Topics: 730
  • Online today: 124
  • Online ever: 275 (January 22, 2020, 07:39:54 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 72
  • Total: 72

Automatic Choke Systems

Started by Mick, May 12, 2017, 07:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick

What's your opinion on automatic choke systems which are now on many makes of mower engine

My opinion is it's never  really worked well in the past, and still doesn't, so why insist on trying to develop it.  I'd rather see a control on the handle, even if it's just to apply the choke only, this would save everyone a awful lot of grief. 

I don't mind if the do away with the throttle, but just give us a manual choke system, every engine runs slightly different in reality, and some like a touch of choke when hot, which is something the modern auto choke can't do because of the thermal device holding it off. 

All this stuff is a step back in my opinion, making them unreliable. Honda and B&S must have spent millions trying to get this working. Why?   

Your view on this?

My websites
TGMForum Youtube Channel Please subscribe https://www.youtube.com/@TGMForum
Guitarist Guild

Mulcher

It's certainly something else to go wrong. I've seen quite a few on Briggs engines and the thermostat side of things seems to work OK by and large. But it's the associated linkages that ham-fisted types sometimes bend and I'm definitely not a fan of that finicky black plastic flip-over-centre choke flap actuator lever thingummybob

Mick

Hi Mulcher. and welcome to TGMF

Thing is with the thermostat idea is it doesn't cater for every scenario, if it's hot then it holds the choke off.  In a ideal world that should be fine, but we all know every engine is slightly different, and the fuel they put in them is different age, different brand. Makes for some interesting hot starts.  Cold starts are not an issue providing the spring is still there.

And that flip over linkage has caused one or two problems.  You'd think the manufacturers would guard these parts a little better, to stop shrubs and bushes getting under there and messing things up.  But on the other hand it keeps us busy.  ;)
My websites
Guitarist Guild

Mick

Quote from: Mulcher on June 04, 2017, 05:59:25 PM
It's certainly something else to go wrong. I've seen quite a few on Briggs engines and the thermostat side of things seems to work OK by and large. But it's the associated linkages that ham-fisted types sometimes bend and I'm definitely not a fan of that finicky black plastic flip-over-centre choke flap actuator lever thingummybob

You mean this thingummybob  :)

My websites
Guitarist Guild

Marks Mowers

Never had any real trouble with the Briggs auto chokes.
But the honda ones, geez them things drive me up the wall.

Mick

Quote from: Marks Mowers on August 09, 2017, 07:39:08 PM
Never had any real trouble with the Briggs auto chokes.
But the honda ones, geez them things drive me up the wall.

They all have their quirks, but the main customer complaint with the Briggs is "It won't start when it's hot" but if I let it cool down it'll start no problem. 

The later Honda's are much improved now the throttle shaft flips the choke half off when the governor kicks in.  The first ones were a absolute disaster, belching out black smoke for about three minutes before the choke comes off.  Air filters clogged and oil turned black pretty quickly.

I still don't like auto chokes though.  I don't mind if there's no throttle. but a simple choke cable would be nice.  ;)
My websites
Guitarist Guild

TGMF is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.