TGMForum

Recent Posts

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1,854
  • Total Topics: 729
  • Online today: 80
  • Online ever: 275 (January 22, 2020, 07:39:54 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 49
  • Total: 49
  • Google (AdSense)
  • Google

What's on your Workbench today?

Started by Mick, April 14, 2020, 03:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick

Quote from: Jrich on May 15, 2020, 09:36:17 PM
All about the £ margins why make at £2 gear and sell it for  £10 when you can make a whole motor for £15 and sell it for £67. Like most modern crap made in China and designed to fail and be replaced often.

Jrich, while I agree with what you're saying there, and that is the case nowadays.  The plastic gear on these starter motors would normally be a spare part, it's a wearing part.  It wouldn't be so bad if it was a sealed unit, but you can have the gear in your hand in five minutes, just held on with an E-Clip. ;)
My websites
TGMForum Youtube Channel Please subscribe https://www.youtube.com/@TGMForum
Guitarist Guild

GardenKit

A bit of a late reply, but it does appear that the gear is available as an item with the bendix. Part no 799420. But it is nearly half of the starter price at £27.45 plus vat!

Mick

Quote from: GardenKit on May 30, 2020, 07:34:16 AM
A bit of a late reply, but it does appear that the gear is available as an item with the bendix. Part no 799420. But it is nearly half of the starter price at £27.45 plus vat!

Thanks for that Barrie.    That's makes this even more ridiculous, as we spoke to Briggs directly and was told it wasn't available as a spare part and would have to have the whole starter motor, they even gave us the part number for even though we have it via the power portal etc.  What's even funnier about this they are paying for it under warranty for this particular job.  The reason I brought this to attention in the first place was for those who's warranty has expired and having to pay an extortionate price to replace the gear.  I'm really glad if that's not the case after all though.  ;)  While I do agree, thirty quid is still rather steep for that kit, but they have everyone by the short and curli's on this, because they can't start the mower without it. 

The wiring harnesses', don't get me started on those.  Now on a second type of harness to get around the issues, so I'm going to guess the ones we changed previously will be coming back with the same fault after a while, and we'll have to upgrade them again.  Like we haven't got other machines to service and repair.   :doh: 
My websites
Guitarist Guild

Mick

Quote from: GardenKit on May 30, 2020, 07:34:16 AM

Barrie, just as a matter of interest, where di you find the part number for that kit?
My websites
Guitarist Guild

GardenKit

Sorry for my late reply Mick, just been a bit busy!
I have not bought one of  these to make sure its correct, but I looked on the Power Portal.
I looked for the starter motor on the IPL for model 104M05-0032-H1.

Know what you mean about the harnesses Mick. I am still using the stock of the first mod with the 'hard' connector block. The later ones are at the back of the shelf. Ot looks like they have the same 'hard' block, but simpler wiring with less connectors.

Mick

Quote from: GardenKit on June 04, 2020, 09:03:11 PM
Sorry for my late reply Mick, just been a bit busy!
I have not bought one of  these to make sure its correct, but I looked on the Power Portal.
I looked for the starter motor on the IPL for model 104M05-0032-H1.

Know what you mean about the harnesses Mick. I am still using the stock of the first mod with the 'hard' connector block. The later ones are at the back of the shelf. Ot looks like they have the same 'hard' block, but simpler wiring with less connectors.

Thanks Barrie.  Interesting because we looked on Power Portal as mentioned previously, but couldn't see it listed separately.  Then I asked one of our guys to speak to Briggs UK, and was told it's not sold as a spare part and would have to have the whole starter motor.   I'll take another poke around on Power Portal and see if I can see it.  ;)

The harness thing gets worse.  They must have run out of the latest harnesses and have them on back order, because the last one they sent us this week was the original type with the white connector in it again.   :doh:
My websites
Guitarist Guild

Mick

Customer brought this Honda IZY 21 in for service, said it "might" need a new blade. Vibrated a bit I should think, considering it has a complete end missing.  Surprisingly on this occasion the crank was still straight.
My websites
Guitarist Guild

Mick

John Deer obviously run their chains pretty loose, but at least they do something about it, like on this JD roller mower I had on my bench the other day.  Seems to work none the less. Maybe some of the other big brands (mention no names) should take a look at what others do with their gear.
My websites
Guitarist Guild

Mick

Hayter Harrier 48 Pro. (479B)

Around six months old, this one has rear roller jumping on drive cams, due to worn roller end caps, thus allowing the roller shaft to move about excessively. Chain cover is worn through, chain is in a sorry state because of this. Outer roller bushes are worn lengthwise causing excessive end play and dirt and moisture ingress. 

BBC brake spring is broken allowing the blade to spin while not engaged.

And the new type Honda engine, recoil starter isn't returning properly atm.

Other than that it's ok.  :D
My websites
Guitarist Guild

Mick

Well today I had another Weibang Legacy 56 Pro with a broken roller shaft.  In addition the chain cover had come loose and fell off, the chain tensioner was worn through, due to lack of chain lube. Everything was dry as a bone.
My websites
Guitarist Guild

Swissqp

So Mick, on my bench is this HRX537 with electric start. Leaking o-ring under the valve cover, new bbc lower bearing, new blades and new harness for starter motor to key start. Photos to follow.

Sallyday10

Hi All,

first post, so hi to you all.

I'm repairing a Mantis Tiller 2-stroke that's had some old fuel left in the tank for a million years. It's had an aftermarket (Chinese crap) carb fitted and I'm keen to get a new original Zama carb and re-fit that one.

Anyone found a decent source for these Zama carbs, or are there any other decent manufacturers out there that may supply a suitable, realiable alternative?

Cheers,
Sal.

Gregs mowing

Got a new 579 56 pro. Got drive issues. Put new chain and sprockets on. Re greased the pins and new bearings and roller end caps.
Drive is not working. When I lift the mower the roller then spins. Thinking gearbox faulty? It is covered in black oil....
I tried new belts. Changed the small one of but the big one looks a pig to do.
Help much appreciated.

Mick

Quote from: Gregs mowing on October 23, 2021, 09:12:24 PMGot a new 579 56 pro. Got drive issues. Put new chain and sprockets on. Re greased the pins and new bearings and roller end caps.
Drive is not working. When I lift the mower the roller then spins. Thinking gearbox faulty? It is covered in black oil....
I tried new belts. Changed the small one of but the big one looks a pig to do.
Help much appreciated.

Greg, you saying your gearbox is covered in black oil does indeed point towards a knackered gearbox. If belt is driving the gearbox, and looking at the output shaft with chan cover off, if nothing is turning when drive is engaged it has to be the gearbox.  Those gearboxes rely on oil to drive, so if leaking then that's your issue.
My websites
Guitarist Guild

Gregs mowing

Mick I got a new gearbox and eventually got it all swapped. Biggest pain was getting off the left gearbox bearing which had seized on. Then getting the connecting rod to line up took a minute. With more experience I might get quicker.
Wanted to replace the big drive belt but can't work out the simple way of doing it. I have tried undoing the two 8mm socket screws on the c shape plate behind the BBC stuff to get room but the belt is very tight and I can't get it off.
Drive seems fine now that I've sprayed the cable too as that sounded dry when engaging drive.
Nice to work on these mowers just a shame about the big drive belt and bearing seizing on (luckily it doesn't act like a pencil sharpener as the old one did).

TGMF is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.