TGMForum
screwfix

Recent Posts

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1,918
  • Total Topics: 746
  • Online today: 34
  • Online ever: 275 (January 22, 2020, 07:39:54 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 19
  • Total: 20
  • Mick

Hayter Harrier 48 Pro.

Started by Mick, April 12, 2017, 10:12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick

Another one of these machines with a gearbox support bearing fallen out. Can't understand why it's designed quite the way it is tbh.  I've seen this happening on the 41, 48, and 56. 

Today it was a 2016 Harrier 48 Pro.  Each end of the gearbox output shaft runs through a bearing in a aluminium housing which are bolted on to the roller frame brackets.  As there's a bit of flex in these brackets or perhaps running very slightly out of line, those bearings start to walk their way out of the housing. The bearings are a press fit in the housings and have nothing else to hold them in place. 

The good bit is. they upgraded to a wider version of these bearings, but unfortunately they use the original housings which only grip two thirds of the bearing when pressed in. Totally pointless imo.

Hopefully this won't happen with the new range of Harrier's, but not having delved inside one yet I don't know if that's the case.

Anyway added a couple of pics of the said bearings and housings.
My websites
TGMForum Youtube Channel Please subscribe https://www.youtube.com/@TGMForum
Guitarist Guild

Marks Mowers

Make sure the aluminium support bracket hasn't broken up the top of the deck, that's usual cause for them falling out.

Mick

Quote from: Marks Mowers on May 03, 2017, 04:55:43 PM
Make sure the aluminium support bracket hasn't broken up the top of the deck, that's usual cause for them falling out.

I agree that is the most common cause, I have a box full of broken brackets atm.  They also come out occasionally without the help of the broken bracket as it did on this machine.  ;) 
My websites
Guitarist Guild

Marks Mowers

Oh I've not seen one just drop out before.

The drive system on that whole mower seems a step backwards.

It's a shame, Hayter had a damn fine design with the old 34X's (excluding the ones fitted with the Intek engine, Briggs and Stratton can shove that up their ****)
I don't know why they had to change the design so drastically?

Mick

Quote from: Marks Mowers on May 04, 2017, 07:41:00 AM
Oh I've not seen one just drop out before.

The drive system on that whole mower seems a step backwards.

It's a shame, Hayter had a damn fine design with the old 34X's (excluding the ones fitted with the Intek engine, Briggs and Stratton can shove that up their ****)
I don't know why they had to change the design so drastically?

lol.. I totally agree, but you know it'll only get worse.  With Briggs dropping the side pto engines to keep their costs down threw all the manufacturers into this situation of taking the drive off the crank. Think this left the "designers" scratching their heads a bit.  And still does by the looks of it. ;)
My websites
Guitarist Guild

TGMF is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.