TGMForum
toolstation

Recent Posts

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1,854
  • Total Topics: 729
  • Online today: 58
  • Online ever: 275 (January 22, 2020, 07:39:54 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 56
  • Total: 56

Best petrol mower <£600

Started by Harvz, August 21, 2017, 05:20:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harvz

What are your thoughts on the best petrol mower at present for <£600.
I have used that value due to the fact that modern mowers don't tend to last very long, and spending £1000 just isn't worth it, IMO.
To my mind, a mower has 3 main parts- engine, gearbox (if self propelled), and cutting deck.
So, on these parts, which is best
- engine- Honda, B&S or something else?
- gearbox- is simpler the better?
- deck material- steel, aluminium or poly plastic?

Then, is there a mower that has all the best of these parts?

Mick

That's a very tricky question nowadays tbh. 

One of the biggest problems is you never know who makes what and for who.  All the machines have good points and bad points imo.  It would be very difficult to find one with all the best components for that sort of money. 

I mainly repair Hayter, Toro, Honda so kind of don't know what the other stuff out there is like tbh.

My websites
TGMForum Youtube Channel Please subscribe https://www.youtube.com/@TGMForum
Guitarist Guild

Harvz

Thanks- to be honest, that's what I thought. Maybe I was being a bit ambitious with the OP.

If we just look at the deck material, what is your (and others) opinion as to what the best material is?
Steel for strength ( but corrodes?)
Poly plastic - various types- for non corroding (but risk of breakages?)
Aluminium for best of both worlds (but master of none?)

Mick

Quote from: Harvz on September 03, 2017, 10:10:24 AM
Thanks- to be honest, that's what I thought. Maybe I was being a bit ambitious with the OP.

If we just look at the deck material, what is your (and others) opinion as to what the best material is?
Steel for strength ( but corrodes?)
Poly plastic - various types- for non corroding (but risk of breakages?)
Aluminium for best of both worlds (but master of none?)

They all have their problems. 

Steel as you say corrodes / rusts, but some worse than others.  Not sure how the new IZY will stand up, but the old ones about ten years and whole front falls off..  lol..

Also if it's tin deck make sure its using fairly heavy gauge steel or the front wheels will splay out. Especially on some of the cheaper models with separate / independent front wheel adjusters.

Poly /Plastic.  Well again it has its problems, but is pretty impact resistant.  Things tend to fail around screws and fixings especially if it's Chinese plastic.

Aluminium, more expensive, sometimes heavy, and will corrode like hell if you feed your lawns and don't clean the underside of the mower.  Lawn feed can be highly corrosive to aluminium.  It will still break or crack if hit hard.
My websites
TGMForum Youtube Channel Please subscribe https://www.youtube.com/@TGMForum
Guitarist Guild

TGMF is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.