TGMForum

Recent Posts

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1,936
  • Total Topics: 750
  • Online today: 35
  • Online ever: 275 (January 22, 2020, 07:39:54 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 18
  • Total: 18

Classic Briggs and Stratton

Started by Basilpot, March 31, 2021, 01:02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Basilpot

Hello all, I am new to forum. I would appreciate a little help. I have a classic Briggs and Stratton mower which wont start. It has got a good spark. When I put carb cleaner in the carb it runs for a second. I bought new carb and tank from auction site but still just the same. Just won't start. Is there anything else I can look at or try. Any help greatly appreciated.

Mick

Hi Basilpot, and welcome to TGMF.

Sounds like you still have a fuel issue.  It could possibly be caused by carburettor especially if it's a none genuine one, though this is unlikely.  Make sure the inlet tube where the carb pushes on to the engine isn't loose or cracked, and make sure the o-ring and retainer ring are still fitted into the outlet on the carb. 

I take it the primer button is working?  It should start when primed as it would with a shot of carb cleaner as it actually squirts neat fuel into the inlet. 

May be a daft question, but is your fuel fresh? Not left over from last year. If it's old fuel then try some fresh before going further.
My websites
TGMForum Youtube Channel Please subscribe https://www.youtube.com/@TGMForum
Guitarist Guild

Basilpot

Hello Mick and thanks for the reply. I have checked a number of things and changed the fuel as well. I did think changing the carb and fuel tank was the answer which has not worked. I thought changing the carb and tank would have sorted it out. I will try the original again and check it all again.
Cheers

graeme70926

Was the new tank and carb brand new or just new to you? If its new to you it could well have the same problem that the origional carb and tank had. When i took my honda into the shop the guy i was talking to said they must have done something in the production of petrol late last year as they have never seen so many mowers with varnished internal carb parts due to leaving petrol in over winter.

Basilpot

The tank and carb were brand new never used that's why I was surprised to have the same problem. Being non genuine might have something to do with it. I am going to try the original again next week and check it over again.

Mick

Quote from: Basilpot on April 02, 2021, 04:50:19 PMThe tank and carb were brand new never used that's why I was surprised to have the same problem. Being non genuine might have something to do with it. I am going to try the original again next week and check it over again.

When you check it out, and with the air filter removed, make sure you can see the fuel actually squirting into the inlet when you press the primer button it.
My websites
Guitarist Guild

Mick

Quote from: graeme70926 on April 02, 2021, 01:00:55 PMWas the new tank and carb brand new or just new to you? If its new to you it could well have the same problem that the origional carb and tank had. When i took my honda into the shop the guy i was talking to said they must have done something in the production of petrol late last year as they have never seen so many mowers with varnished internal carb parts due to leaving petrol in over winter.

Graeme, I spend most of my life sonic cleaning Honda carbs these days, mainly the ones fitted to Honda GCV engines. Think this will get worse when we go from 5% Ethanol to 10% it's going to be a right pain.
My websites
Guitarist Guild

graeme70926

is it the type of carb that sits on the tank? You need to fill these tans right to the brim with fuel as the fuel needs to fill the second chamber in the tank for the first time.

Mick

It should fill the upper chamber by itself fairly quickly to be honest, after the second or third attempt to start the machine would normally get you there if the carb's working properly.
My websites
Guitarist Guild

TGMF is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.