TGMForum

Recent Posts

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1,856
  • Total Topics: 730
  • Online today: 124
  • Online ever: 275 (January 22, 2020, 07:39:54 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 110
  • Total: 110

First impressions of the Stihl RMA 339 C

Started by njh, May 02, 2021, 12:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njh

After enquiring about rollers in another post:
https://thegardenmachineryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=309

I decided to go ahead and buy a Stihl RMA 339 C, with a AK20 battery (144 Wh) from Lawn Mowers Direct. It arrived yesterday and I am so far very happy with it!

• The construction quality seems really good - even just the materials used seem high quality.
  • I was expecting it to be a lot quieter than my petrol mower but more noticeable was than it vibrates a lot less. I was more aware of the terrain and thickness of the grass as a result.
  • Maybe it is a reflection off my old mower being pretty low-end. But the Stihl sounds like it is actually cutting the grass, rather than just whacking it with a piece of metal!
  • I haven't mown the lawn for a few weeks - but when I was cutting, I wasn't really sure how big an impact it was having. Maybe partly due to lack of rain we have been having. I cut on the second lowest setting '1' - which isn't super-short. The lawn did look much better afterwards.
  • It is much easier to lift up. It isn't exactly lightweight but being a bit lighter definitely makes it easier to get out of the shed and move between sections of the lawn. It also has more than one handy carry handles.
  • It is a lot more manoeuvrable than my old Cobra M40B
  • The battery is massive for the size of our lawn - I didn't even get down to half-full. So no range anxiety at all. Need to think if I should try to empty the battery between charges rather than keep topping it up.
  • It doesn't seem to 'vacuum' up debris as much as my old mower. I used to use my old mower for lazy cleaning up of hedge clippings - but the cordless Stihl doesn't seemvery effective at that
  • I am not sure about the Eco mode - it is supposed to speed up/slow down depending on how thick the grass is - but it seemed to take a second or so to speed up. Given that the battery was absolutely fine for my size of lawn, I am currently thinking of leaving Eco mode off.

Overall, while it was quite a lot of money, I think it is a good investment, that will hopefully give me many years service.

Now wondering about getting a Stihl cordless hedge trimmer :o

njh.

Mick

Thanks njh, that's a nice first impression review of the Stihl RMA 339 C.

I'm surprised it doesn't pick up the debris very well though, I thought they had the collection pretty well sorted. 

The big upside to a battery mower is the convenience side of things, just get the mower out of the shed, pop battery in and off you go, no messing around with fuel/oil and getting the thing started, and of course no fumes. Servicing is cheaper too, there's not much to service to be honest.

Keep us updated with your findings as you use it throughout the season, I'm sure you'll be happy with it though.  ;)   
My websites
TGMForum Youtube Channel Please subscribe https://www.youtube.com/@TGMForum
Guitarist Guild

TGMF is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.