TGMForum
Welcome to TGM Forum. Registration is easy and free, why not jump straight in and post.

Recent Posts

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1,854
  • Total Topics: 729
  • Online today: 58
  • Online ever: 275 (January 22, 2020, 07:39:54 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 56
  • Total: 56
  • Google (2)

Husqvarna 122c

Started by rob29, October 18, 2019, 02:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob29

I'm thinking about getting a new petrol strimmer, but most of them are too long for me to hold comfortably and get the strimming head close to and parallel to the ground.  The Husqvarna 122c looks possible as it has a curved shaft - but can anyone tell me the height of the throttle from the ground wnen the strimmer head is parallel to and resting on the ground ?
Robert

GardenKit

Sorry Rob, can't answer the question you asked. But a solution I use for some of my, err.. shorter customers is to fit a standard  brush cutter (usually Tanaka TBC 2390 in my case) with an Oregon speed head using flexi blade cord. This allows use of the machine without the extension skirt on the guard which in turn means that the machine can be run at a shallow angle without the guard interfering with the cut. if that makes sense.  :)

Mick

Interesting question Rob, and one I have to admit to not giving any thought for, until now. 

Trouble with most of this gear it's sort of a one size fits all scenario.  The only machines you can adjust stuff like this properly are the ones with Cow Horn handles, because you can move hand position and throttle control, and harness point where you need it.  That said, even then you really need the machine to feel balanced, so harness point need to be in the right place.

The machines with the loop handle don't give much in the way of adjustment if any at all.  So this is a tricky one.

My websites
TGMForum Youtube Channel Please subscribe https://www.youtube.com/@TGMForum
Guitarist Guild

rob29

Thank you !
I'm not all that short !  5'8" But I find it is so easy to scalp the grass if I don't hold the strimmer parallel to the ground.

Mick

Quote from: rob29 on October 19, 2019, 02:30:24 PM
Thank you !
I'm not all that short !  5'8" But I find it is so easy to scalp the grass if I don't hold the strimmer parallel to the ground.

Rob, if you're 5'8" then that shouldn't really be an issue, I'm only 5'9" myself and don't have a problem.  That said, I don't use them on a daily basis so maybe haven't noticed this issue.

What strimmer are you currently using, or been using?
My websites
Guitarist Guild

rob29

I was using a Mcculloch trimmac but it expired after 14 years.  I bought a new trimmac but had nothing but problems with it and have returned it.  I could get it running and it was OK for a little while and then kept behaving as though the choke was half or fully closed.   I've been loaned a Gardenline 25cc one but it is a lot heavier and far too long, so I'm looking for an alternative.  The Husqvarna looked a better bet and wasn't much heavier than the trimmac.

GardenKit

I personally dislike bent shaft strimmers and find them awkward to use. I much prefer a straight shaft brushcutter such as a Tanaka TBC2390 or similar. Light weight, easy starter and top notch quality, but costing double the price of the Huskie 122c, granted.
With a straight shaft the head makes contact with the crop further away from your feet, which in my opinion makes it easier to use. But, a word of warning, if changing from bent to straight you will have to learn to 'swing the other way'(pardon the expression).
In other words cut from right to left to allow crop to throw clear (the gearbox causes the head to rotate the opposite direction to the direct drive of a bent shaft). You must also remember to rewind the cord in the opposite direction.

Mick

Absolutely, head runs the same direction as engine on a bent shaft strimmer.  After all it is only being driven by a glorified speedo cable. lol..

Wondering, do the Tanaka brushcutters run a solid steel shaft in all their straight shaft models?  This always used to be a thing, but seems Stihl are using the flexible shaft in anything under £300 these days, including the cheaper combi engines.  The liners they use in the tubes are pretty poor too.   
My websites
Guitarist Guild

GardenKit

Quote from: Mick on October 20, 2019, 12:55:09 PM
Absolutely, head runs the same direction as engine on a bent shaft strimmer.  After all it is only being driven by a glorified speedo cable. lol..

Wondering, do the Tanaka brushcutters run a solid steel shaft in all their straight shaft models?  This always used to be a thing, but seems Stihl are using the flexible shaft in anything under £300 these days, including the cheaper combi engines.  The liners they use in the tubes are pretty poor too.   

Yes Mick, all the Tanaka straight machines use solid steel shafts. Much better IMO than the flexi shafts used in the cheaper Stihl machines. Better recoils, carburettors, ignition modules and throttle cables too :)

Mick

Thanks for that info Barrie, very interesting actually.  :tup:  I'm betting the pricing is pretty good too.  Food for thought imo.   ;)
My websites
Guitarist Guild

GardenKit

24cc TBC 2390 at £249 with 5yr domestic warranty :)

TGMF is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.