TGMForum
millets

Recent Posts

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1,854
  • Total Topics: 729
  • Online today: 58
  • Online ever: 275 (January 22, 2020, 07:39:54 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 58
  • Total: 58

Briggs engines

Started by Jrich, May 29, 2020, 07:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jrich

Hi all,
Hope everyone is keeping well in these odd times. Im after some advice if possible on a problem I have with a briggs engine 126t02-6280-h1. It came in with a carb full of water which by the looks of the sun damaged bodywork isn't a supprise the story is that it had run poorly for a while at all times then stopped the guy tried to clean carb himself but gave up now it's with me. Anyway I've cleaned the carb in US cleaner, it been put back together and now starts first pull every time hot ot cold however it runs rough as hell as if it's seeking its fuel till its nice and warm probably for 2-3 minutes once its warm it runs nicely. Additionally I've cleaned tank and fitted new fuel hose new air filter and plug checked plug gap and ignition gap and check intake for cracks and replaced oring. Any help understanding what's going one here would be great.
Thanks
Jack

Mick

I know it's maybe a daft question, but have you checked the float level?  These re notorious for for the rubber seat swelling up and pushing the float level low.  This can cause issues with hunting in the way you describe.

You probably have already seen this, but if not, Check your float level
My websites
TGMForum Youtube Channel Please subscribe https://www.youtube.com/@TGMForum
Guitarist Guild

Jrich

Hi Mick, it wasn't dead parallel but I've seen worse run better, so for avoidance of doubt I had a seat kit here so changed it anyway sadly no better.

Mick

Jrich, yep that fix isn't a definitive one, but have cured quite a few buy getting the float back into level.

It's got to be something carburettor wise I would think, maybe you're US tank didn't clear what ever is causing the restriction.  Do you put cleaning needles through all the jets / holes before giving it a US clean.  I found sometimes if the jet or hole in carb body was blocked when put in tank it wouldn't clean it, because the fluid can't actually run through it.   So I always make sure they are clear before cleaning.

Other thing to try is looking under the Welch plug on the side of the carb, make sure all the transfer holes are clear, though this would mean finding a replacement Welch plug.  Even then there's no guarantee it will fix it.

If all else fails, and I know we all hate to admit defeat.  see if you can find a donor machine to borrow a carb from, and see if that makes a difference.  At the end of the day you've checked all the obvious things, like manifold leaks from cracks, gasket, and O-Ring, so it's pointing at carb issues of some kind.
My websites
TGMForum Youtube Channel Please subscribe https://www.youtube.com/@TGMForum
Guitarist Guild

TGMF is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.