TGMForum

Recent Posts

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1,966
  • Total Topics: 754
  • Online today: 33
  • Online ever: 275 (January 22, 2020, 07:39:54 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 16
  • Total: 16
  • Yandex (2)

Stihl FR480C backpack brushcutter.

Started by openspaceman, September 07, 2021, 09:55:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

openspaceman

A visit back here to see if there was any experience of working on one of these.

I was handed it as a non runner by the widow of a friend two years ago. Only obvious fault was a split purge bulb which I replaced with a cheap one I had. Trouble was there was no life from the battery and no charger.  I span it over with a 7,4V LiIon battery from a screwdriver and it fired once. No sign of a choke control. After a bit of head scratching I looked and the flywheel and the keyway was sheared, I think the flywheel had been removed and not tightened.

So having ascertained the battery was bulging and defunct I went no further as cost of parts would be £250 but otherwise it seems little used.

The lady now wants it fixed and I'm torn between spending £250 or getting a slightly smaller new 131 for £650.

What does the team think?

openspaceman

What I should add is this electric start model is preferable to the pull cord 131

TGMF is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.