TGMForum
gardenbuildingsdirect

Recent Posts

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1,966
  • Total Topics: 754
  • Online today: 33
  • Online ever: 275 (January 22, 2020, 07:39:54 PM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 29
  • Total: 29
  • Yandex (2)

Qualcast Brushcutter

Started by Kevin, May 11, 2021, 07:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

I have a Qualcast GDB30 brush cutter that will not start!

If I take the plug out it is wet with fuel/oil mixture and if I attach a spark tester, then pull the starter the bulb in the tester flashes a nice bright, strong light. But if I attach a plug that is earthed to the engine the plug will not spark. I have tried closing the gap but that makes no difference. Could it be that the ignition module is not generating enough current to create a spark but enough to make the bulb in the tester light up?

What do you all think?

Kevin

Mick

Seen this a few times actually.  I borrowed one of those testers with the bulb in them and had this exact issue. The tester would flash very nicely but couldn't get a spark from the end of the HT lead at all. So IMO those light up testers are pretty useless..

I use a tester with adjustable electrodes in it so what you actually see is the real spark. Mine is the old Briggs & Stratton one like in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuT3gWSnUNs

which I think is longer available, but they do have a new version available which works in the same way.  I dare say you can buy other brands, or if feeling adventurous you could makke one yourself. ;)

My websites
TGMForum Youtube Channel Please subscribe https://www.youtube.com/@TGMForum
Guitarist Guild

Kevin

Thanks Mick,

I think I have lulled into a sense of complacency by the flashing light tester. I have the new type Briggs one some where I shall have to get back into the habit of using it.

I don't think I shall be making one at the moment  :hmm:

Kevin

TGMF is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.